The Student Room Group

Jobcentre Misery

Hello,

This partly a rant about the Jobcentre and partly a way of finding out if others have had similar experiences to myself.

So I went to my local Jobcentre in search some sort of job of part-time job to help me fund my studies. The place was deserted and people on the desks were free. The security guard basically forced me out the door and told me to look in the library for job postings and that the jobcentre does not have any, that everything is online.

Having submitted countless applications for a variety of jobs: from cleaning, to customer assistant, receptionist and so on online I have had very little luck. On Reed, even *****y jobs at unsociable hours seemingly get dozens if not hundreds of applications.

So, a big **** you to Jobcentres that seem to care little about helping people find work.

Have you had similarly frustrating experiences?

Have you had similar experiences with Jobcentres?
Original post by Gentleman Jim
Hello,

This partly a rant about the Jobcentre and partly a way of finding out if others have had similar experiences to myself.

So I went to my local Jobcentre in search some sort of job of part-time job to help me fund my studies. The place was deserted and people on the desks were free. The security guard basically forced me out the door and told me to look in the library for job postings and that the jobcentre does not have any, that everything is online.

Having submitted countless applications for a variety of jobs: from cleaning, to customer assistant, receptionist and so on online I have had very little luck. On Reed, even *****y jobs at unsociable hours seemingly get dozens if not hundreds of applications.

So, a big **** you to Jobcentres that seem to care little about helping people find work.

Are you a student or are you on benefits? Job centres are principally for the administration of benefits. Thats what advisors are for. They have terminals where you look for a job , but thats just limited internet access to the universal job match website which you can access on any internet connection. You ahve to book an appointment to see someone.

https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/register.aspx?redirect=http%3a%2f%2fjobsearch.direct.gov.uk%2fhome.aspx

Security guard is just a security guard, but everything for job searching is online. they arent hiding anything from you.

You just have to keep going, see your careers adviser to make sure your skills, cv and interview are in good order. Its about now they will eb advertising for all the christmas jobs.

I think you are venting your unhappiness at the wrong people. If you are just a young person then see if there are any local job clubs. If a student then see what resources your SU has or see a local careers advisor.

Btw universal job match isnt great Indeed is much better.
Not much of a gentleman, are you Jim?

You need to consider the possible reasons why you were unsuccessful. No experience? Poor CV? Generic cover letter?

Once you have determined what you have been doing wrong, you need to look to rectify it. For now I suggest getting down to a charity shop ASAP so you have at least something to put on your CV. Chop chop.
Original post by #ChaosKass

You need to consider the possible reasons why you were unsuccessful. No experience? Poor CV? Generic cover letter?

Once you have determined what you have been doing wrong, you need to look to rectify it. For now I suggest getting down to a charity shop ASAP so you have at least something to put on your CV. Chop chop.

I'm not entirely sure how you think this works, but most places are looking for someone with experience.

Now, bear with me here: if you've got no experience, and can't get a job to get the experience, what options do you have?

It's a massive catch-22, just like needing a job to buy a car so you can get to your job in your car is.

It's all very well volunteering for charity work, but unless your aspirations don't go higher than being a cashier it's not going to be massively beneficial, neither for your career nor your wallet (most charity shops around here don't pay their volunteers).
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm not entirely sure how you think this works, but most places are looking for someone with experience.

Now, bear with me here: if you've got no experience, and can't get a job to get the experience, what options do you have?

It's a massive catch-22, just like needing a job to buy a car so you can get to your job in your car is.

It's all very well volunteering for charity work, but unless your aspirations don't go higher than being a cashier it's not going to be massively beneficial, neither for your career nor your wallet (most charity shops around here don't pay their volunteers).

What frustrates me about the arguments above is that not everyone has the privilege to be able to work unpaid. I am currently working in an unpaid internship because I hope it will get my foot in the door at a company I'd love to work at, but recognise that I am very lucky to be able to do so. And although being unemployed also doesn't pay, it costs a lot to go to work - paid or unpaid. My monthly travel is £400 a month because I live with my parents and commute into London, I have to pay for suitable work clothes that I can wear in the office etc. So I am essentially paying to work. It's putting a lot of strain on me because it's taking away the time I could be spending preparing better job applications or preparing for interviews. I wouldn't normally complain - I love where I work and still think I'm very lucky to be able to do so - but don't appreciate people making assumptions about others who are working hard to find a job.
Original post by Gentleman Jim
Hello,

Never used a job centre never you will. They have another name that's the benefits office
Original post by #ChaosKass

I have a job but my local charity shop wouldn't let me volunteer for them lol
Original post by Drunk Punx

Unfortunately we live in a time where many young people have to start out in a voluntary/unpaid role to get the experience necessary for a paid job. As with roflcakes I appreciate not everyone has the means to do this, but for those who can it gets them a step ahead.

As far as volunteering for a charity goes, you need to look beyond the tasks and see what transferable skills you would gain. Not all charity roles involve being on the tills in a charity shop either. I spent just over a year volunteering for a charity at their offices, all I was doing half the time was packing up fundraising orders but the experience still helped me get a paid role doing what I want to do.
Reply 8
You shouldn't be going to the Jobcentre with the intention that they will help you find a job, they are nothing more than a benefits processing centres. If you want to get a job then register with requirement agencies, or hand your CV to every shop in town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending