How much hours a week should i volunteer?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished university and am looking for a job. However i don't have much experience. I have only work experience and volunteering. So I am thinking of doing a bit of volunteering whilst i look for a full time job. How many hours should i work for the CV-volunteering? That is my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony333)
    I have just finished university and am looking for a job. However i don't have much experience. I have only work experience and volunteering. So I am thinking of doing a bit of volunteering whilst i look for a full time job. How many hours should i work for the CV-volunteering? That is my question.
    What kind of volunteering do you want to do? It would be great if you could find something that you will get skills that you want/need, and whatever that role is may define your hours. And prefereably something you think you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What kind of volunteering do you want to do? It would be great if you could find something that you will get skills that you want/need, and whatever that role is may define your hours. And prefereably something you think you'll enjoy.

I would be interested in working in a charity shop of some kind.

ReputationRep:
    Just do as many as you can/want - if you're not working outside it, it doesn't really matter. If you do more hours you'll be able to achieve more (depending on the kind of thing you're doing) and have more things to write on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tony333)
    I would be interested in working in a charity shop of some kind.
    My sister used to do that on Saturdays from about 10 or 11 until 18:00. Would that be the kind of thing you're looking for? I think that would be a good start anyway, also think about how much time you need for other things you want to do during the week.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i think that would be something for me. That does sound like a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    Consider doing several different volunteer placements for less time each... that way you will have more experiences to pick from to pick onto your CV/use at interviews. Breadth of experience is really important when applying for your first jobs (it is expected that you won't have much depth, but employers really appreciate how much of your personality, interests, and skills they can see from more jobs)

Don't forget to leave time for you to actually look for and apply to jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    Just do as many as you can/want - if you're not working outside it, it doesn't really matter. If you do more hours you'll be able to achieve more (depending on the kind of thing you're doing) and have more things to write on a CV.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.