Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bullying in schools - has it got worse over the years or is it just more publicised? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...person-8982884

Here is qute a typical case these days.

Boy moves school because of bullying, but people following online just spread the bullying to the new as well. Boy does not see a way out and he kills himself by jumping in front of a train.

I think the social media and online messaging platforms has made bullying worse and schools should be made more responsible for this in a court of law (perhaps a failure in duty of care, negligence claim in damages rather than a criminal claim). 20 years ago we did not have this type of online harassment which is difficult for young and developing kids to mentally ignore and retaliate against. If this boy was an adult and receiving such treatment online, it would be a criminal case. But yet children are not protected...

Of course we also have the double standards in schools where if the boy retaliated with violence or older kids did so on his behalf... then they would get punished for the violence and the bullies likely would not. It is a bit of a joke but I have heard about it happening many times.

Back when I was in school, we didn't have anywhere near the amount of social media/online messaging as there is now. If someone bullied you, you just retaliated with violent behaviour everytime, it was what I told my younger siblings and cousins too. My older cousin grew up at a time where he would bring a weapon to school everyday, he had to because in the 90s there was a phase in street violence where people would not just punch you, they would also stamp on your head in groups. I think in this sense these kids don't grow up with a real understanding of the real nasty side of growing up in streets.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's got worse in the sense that it's easier due to social media, which does mean it's more publicised.

ReputationRep:
    It's not more common in the sense that more people are being bullied I wouldn't have thought, but it is a lot easier to keep on doing and make it a whole lot worse for particular individuals thanks to ye olde interwebs.

ReputationRep:
    its actually quite sad all this bullying. an 11 year old boy killed himself just recently bc he was being bullied. So many kids out there getting bullied and its been going on for years. now its like a trend to post this videos on fb and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the systematic bullying now is a lot harder to prevent, given people have access to your life seemingly 24/7 now, so at least when you could get away from bullies once you got home, now they can take that bullying online. There's no break from bullying.
    It's also a lot easier to report on. What used to be one a month now seems to be a daily occurrence of kids who couldn't take any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    I'd say the systematic bullying now is a lot harder to prevent, given people have access to your life seemingly 24/7 now, so at least when you could get away from bullies once you got home, now they can take that bullying online. There's no break from bullying.
    It's also a lot easier to report on. What used to be one a month now seems to be a daily occurrence of kids who couldn't take any more.
    I also highly doubt the government has the balls to make and enforce new rules around online harassment.

A big part of the problem is that these bullied kids are taught to not fight back, as if they are just expected to just sit there and take it. As I said back in the day it would not be unusual to have knives hidden in jackets. My cousins grew up in Barnsley and East London and they found that the only way to deal with such bullies is through more violence.. including girls who get bullied by girls.

Also, with regards to ethnic minorities being bullied, you could guarantee that if you hit a Pakistani kid for example his 8 brothers would come after you. Everything is geared to facilitate the kids doing the bullying and that is messed up.

I remember my nephew was being bullied in private school. Basically he started choking the kid who was harassing him and then got suspended. No one in the family thought he did the wrong thing. He got back to school and the kid started cussing him out in the football field again. My nephew started slide tackling the kid and punching him. The kid then shut the **** up as I think he would have been killed.

ReputationRep:
    both.

ReputationRep:
    Also I don't buy the "Oh the kid is probably bullied at home by his parents so therefore he does it in school to others". So therefore schools punishing them will do nothing. I get the logic there, the kids won't really respond well to that as their parents are not the best.

However, I think the kids would respond to being beaten again and again by the kid they are calling out. My point is, kids need to be taught to defend themselves. As violence, does solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Both.
    There are so many anti bullying campaigns so it's more publicized, and I remember every year in high school they would do anti bullying week. Because of that people were more aware of bullying was however it actually didn't prevent people from being bullied.

I got picked on quite a bit during high school but I never said anything simply because teachers wouldn't do anything about it. And even if they did the students would still carry on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Also I don't buy the "Oh the kid is probably bullied at home by his parents so therefore he does it in school to others". So therefore schools punishing them will do nothing. I get the logic there, the kids won't really respond well to that as their parents are not the best.

However, I think the kids would respond to being beaten again and again by the kid they are calling out. My point is, kids need to be taught to defend themselves. As violence, does solve the problem.
    I agree with this; todays kids are so scared of a bit of violence they won't even hit back at those hitting them first. Nothing scares away a bully more than hitting back and hitting back hard. Also I don't understand why the kids suffering social media bullying don't just delete their accounts and come off the social media? It's common sense really, isn't it?

Not that I'm blaming the victims obviously because the bullies need to be punished but a little bit of damage prevention wouldn't hurt surely?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's gotten worse in a way. About 10 years ago or earlier it was pretty much just physical bullying, if you didn't stick up for yourself then you'd get kicked in or your head flushed down the bog or other things. That can be horrific of course, but it's much more a case of mental abuse nowadays which can be a lot harder to get over.

ReputationRep:
    Worse, kids now are horrible.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I agree with this; todays kids are so scared of a bit of violence they won't even hit back at those hitting them first. Nothing scares away a bully more than hitting back and hitting back hard. Also I don't understand why the kids suffering social media bullying don't just delete their accounts and come off the social media? It's common sense really, isn't it?

Not that I'm blaming the victims obviously because the bullies need to be punished but a little bit of damage prevention wouldn't hurt surely?
    As someone who was bullied, it's not really just as simple as 'deleting your account', plus it just carried on at school anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    As someone who was bullied, it's not really just as simple as 'deleting your account', plus it just carried on at school anyway.
    I got bullied aswell and I never claimed it was as simple as that but it would help outside of school surely?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think it's worse in the sense that it's much easier to bring it online, and kids are more grown up at earlier ages so it's more difficult. I think it's changed more than anything
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

I got bullied aswell and I never claimed it was as simple as that but it would help outside of school surely?
    You did say it was common sense. And, maybe , but then again they could easily ruin your reputation or something ex. creating a fake account in your name or something, or posting edited videos of you, and other people will see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    You did say it was common sense. And, maybe , but then again they could easily ruin your reputation or something ex. creating a fake account in your name or something, or posting edited videos of you, and other people will see that.
    If you report that kind of stuff it gets taken down though? In any case it only matters until you leave high school then everyone stops caring because they have their own lives to lead
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

If you report that kind of stuff it gets taken down though? In any case it only matters until you leave high school then everyone stops caring because they have their own lives to lead
    Depends.

And, luckily for me.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I agree. But the problem is that they are upset that the kids are talking about them.

But again, violence solves everything. You slap some respect into them when you are face to face "I hear you are saying **** about me" *Slap. You get the idea. Even though they would still talk rubbish about the kid behind his/her back, they would think twice about insulting them face to face. I was always told by my Dad to be the first one to get very violent very quickly, as that person usually ends up dealing the most damage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.