Crime increasing

ReputationRep:
    In my home town there has been A LOT of burglaries recently in houses less than two minutes from my house. I live in an area where houses are quite expensive so it's a nice place, however near by is an area which is rapidly becoming more and more unsafe. The thieves are obviously coming from this area but in a community meeting the police basically admitted that they don't have enough funding to deal with the problem.

This is impacting on my mental health, I feel so obsessed thinking about it then I spiral to thinking about the increasing hate crime/racism, terrorism, rape crimes.. It makes me feel scared..

I just needed to get this off my chest and see if anyone else feels like the world is literally going to hell?

ReputationRep:
    I do often feel like things are ''going to hell'', as you put it. But then I remember that it's been ''going to hell'' since the second world war, and things have actually improved in many ways since then.

Unfortunately, catching burglars (especially those who know what they're doing) is very hard for the police. Without CCTV or fingerprints/shoeprints or stuff like blood on broken windows, there isn't a lot that they can do.

The bright side is that burglaries that come in waves like this are often the work of a small number of people, or even a single gang or group of burglars. If they slip up once, the police can then effectively get all of that area's burglars in prison at once. They only need to catch them for one burglary....

Crime in general is pretty depressing. Anybody would feel scared if they thought about it too much. Just try to remember that most people are not terrorists, burglars and rapists. In fact, there are probably several hundred times more people working for your local police force than there are terrorists in the entire country (even if your local force is as understaffed as mine).

Terrorism and very violent crime is in the news a lot because it's exactly that; news. Things that happen all the time don't tend to make headlines, so in a way it should be a relief that this stuff is so overreported when it does happen.

I think that lots of people get scared by crime waves in their area. It's an understandable response, but there's no point in letting it get to you. If you're worried about burglaries in particular, remember that burglars are often very lazy and will usually target the easiest looking house on the street. If you've got the security lights or properly locked windows and doors, it's probably not worth the effort for them.

Sorry for the essay. I hope it helped.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I think the world has already gone to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sek510i)
    I do often feel like things are ''going to hell'', as you put it. But then I remember that it's been ''going to hell'' since the second world war, and things have actually improved in many ways since then.

Unfortunately, catching burglars (especially those who know what they're doing) is very hard for the police. Without CCTV or fingerprints/shoeprints or stuff like blood on broken windows, there isn't a lot that they can do.

The bright side is that burglaries that come in waves like this are often the work of a small number of people, or even a single gang or group of burglars. If they slip up once, the police can then effectively get all of that area's burglars in prison at once. They only need to catch them for one burglary....

Crime in general is pretty depressing. Anybody would feel scared if they thought about it too much. Just try to remember that most people are not terrorists, burglars and rapists. In fact, there are probably several hundred times more people working for your local police force than there are terrorists in the entire country (even if your local force is as understaffed as mine).

Terrorism and very violent crime is in the news a lot because it's exactly that; news. Things that happen all the time don't tend to make headlines, so in a way it should be a relief that this stuff is so overreported when it does happen.

I think that lots of people get scared by crime waves in their area. It's an understandable response, but there's no point in letting it get to you. If you're worried about burglaries in particular, remember that burglars are often very lazy and will usually target the easiest looking house on the street. If you've got the security lights or properly locked windows and doors, it's probably not worth the effort for them.

Sorry for the essay. I hope it helped.
    Thank you for your comment it's really helpful. This is my first experience of a crime wave (even though im 24) so I don't have perspective. I really appreciate what you've said and I'll remember it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Thank you for your comment it's really helpful. This is my first experience of a crime wave (even though im 24) so I don't have perspective. I really appreciate what you've said and I'll remember it
    Glad I could help If something like this is worrying you, you can always ask to talk to somebody from your local police as well. Even if they're underfunded, they'll probably be able to give you some advice.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.