How well-regarded is Psychology at AS?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year eleven currently, and we had a sixth form information evening earlier today to see what subjects are offered and what they cover. I've found five subjects that are right up my street in terms of what I enjoy; however, I'm wary of taking psychology as I'm taking it not only because I enjoy it but because i need evidence that I can do science-based subjects.
    My current options are:
    - French*
    - Government & Politics*
    - Economics*
    - English Language
    - Psychology
    *These are my three full A-Levels; the other two I only plan to take to AS.
    I want to go into diplomacy, business etc. and I think psychology and English Lang would be useful for these, but would I be better off taking maths? I don't enjoy it very much, although I don't hate it, and I'm a bit hesitant to have 6 lessons of it a week for a year.
    This is probably completely incoherent as I'm sleep deprived at the moment, but I hope you can vaguely get my gist.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need a uni degree to do what you want to? If so then check entry requirements. Otherwise look at jobs you're interested in and what their requirements are.

ReputationRep:
    Do not do maths unless you know you are going to enjoy it, otherwise it will become tedious and you are likely to under perform. You are going to have to dedicate a significant amount of time to it if you do choose to take maths; a lot of people do it because they were ok at it at gcse and then hate it because of the jump in level of work.

I'd check your course requirements. If you don't have to do maths do the one you like.

BTW psychology A-level is fascinating (I'm in my second year of it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tg1998)
    Do not do maths unless you know you are going to enjoy it, otherwise it will become tedious and you are likely to under perform. You are going to have to dedicate a significant amount of time to it if you do choose to take maths; a lot of people do it because they were ok at it at gcse and then hate it because of the jump in level of work.

I'd check your course requirements. If you don't have to do maths do the one you like.

BTW psychology A-level is fascinating (I'm in my second year of it).
    I want to do PPE, International Business or International Relations (still have yet to decide), none of which have required subjects except for one essay subject (I have at least two in there.) Oxford PPE department recommend maths to AS, which is why I'm considering taking it, but apparently psychology also tests maths skills? Obviously not to the same degree as A-Level maths, but I was thinking that a science-y subject like psychology would show that I can do black-and-white, rational subjects rather than two-sided ones like the others.
    I like to think it would give me a chance to show off my persuasion skills in an interview, if I can convince them that psychology is as good as Maths.
    Thank you for your advice! I'll be sure to keep it in mind!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Do you need a uni degree to do what you want to? If so then check entry requirements. Otherwise look at jobs you're interested in and what their requirements are.
    Yup, need a uni degree, and preferably a master's! They don't have any specific entry requirements except for an essay subject, but one of the course (I'm trying to narrow it down from three) recommends maths to A-Level, although it's not compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skiing Turtles)
    I want to do PPE, International Business or International Relations (still have yet to decide), none of which have required subjects except for one essay subject (I have at least two in there.) Oxford PPE department recommend maths to AS, which is why I'm considering taking it, but apparently psychology also tests maths skills? Obviously not to the same degree as A-Level maths, but I was thinking that a science-y subject like psychology would show that I can do black-and-white, rational subjects rather than two-sided ones like the others.
    I like to think it would give me a chance to show off my persuasion skills in an interview, if I can convince them that psychology is as good as Maths.
    Thank you for your advice! I'll be sure to keep it in mind!
    Happy to help. The maths side of psychology (on the AQA course at least) is no more difficult than GCSE maths provided you got a decent grade. There are a couple of statistical tests you need to know such as standard deviation, but nothing too heavy. It is mainly statistical analysis.

Originally I wanted to read PPE at uni, but many of the universities recommended (and a couple require e.g LSE I believe) a minimum of AS maths. This put me off somewhat, as a result I'm now applying for Politics and IR. I'm not sure but when universities 'recommend' I am never quite sure if it is merely a recommendation or more of a mark against your name if you don't. Good luck with choosing your A levels.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.