Can UK Physician associate graduates work in Canada

ReputationRep:
    I really want to live in Canada for a few years when I'm older so as a Physician associate in the UK will I be able to get a job in Canada?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leo_147)
    I really want to live in Canada for a few years when I'm older so as a Physician associate in the UK will I be able to get a job in Canada?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Leo,

At the moment UK Physician Associate are only able to work within the UK because the profession is on a managed voluntary register. It means that you don't have to be register there in order to work (that's why it's voluntary), and is managed by UKAPA.

UK PA'S will be able to work in the EU and abroad when the profession will have a statuatory register. It would require an act of parliament to do so, but would be highly advantageous, as a that point PA's will also be able to prescribe, order scans and refer patients. PA's on the managed voluntary register will be automatically transferred onto the statuatory register as soon it become available.

At the moment both doctors from the BMA and PA'S from the Royal Fculty of Physicians are pushing for this, to ensure both patients and PA professional safety. This because the lack of a statuatory register means that someone who's been thrown out of the current PA register can still practice as a PA. Doctors, who are thrown out of their statuatory register, can work as doctors no more.

P.S. I understand your pain, I want to move to New Zeland, but at one point PA's will be able to do so, we only have to be patient!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.