Driving test- Do you fail if you take the wrong exit on independant driving? :(

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have my driving test coming up in 2 weeks.

The thing that worries me most is the independent driving . I am worried that I will fail on this part because normally 3 instructions are said altogether. And being a nervous person, I think its even harder to memorize in the actual test.

My question is, will the examiner fail me or give me a minor, if I take the wrong exit on the roundabout or the wrong road?.

Am I allowed to ask him to repeat the question when I get nearer to the exit and tell him to remind me where we are going?

Please help!. I am completely fine with everything else, its just the independent driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia2001)

The thing that worries me most is the independent driving . I am worried that I will fail on this part because normally 3 instructions are said altogether. And being a nervous person, I think its even harder to memorize in the actual test.

My question is, will the examiner fail me or give me a minor, if I take the wrong exit on the roundabout or the wrong road?.

Am I allowed to ask him to repeat the question when I get nearer to the exit and tell him to remind me where we are going?

Please help!. I am completely fine with everything else, its just the independent driving.
    No you won't fail for taking a wrong turn! The independent driving is mainly to assess your ability to drive without instruction really.

You can ask the examiner to repeat where you are going but obviously they can't tell you to take the second exit at the roundabout etc, that's down to you following the road signs.

Have you practiced with your instructor some independent driving? We found out that I was a much better driver when we just went out and drove and didn't talk haha.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry!

The examiner should step in if you get lost, and help you find your way back again. They are not supposed to give you any faults for wrong turns, and you are not marked on how well you follow directions.

This bit of the test seems to be mostly focused on making sure that you don't panic when you're not being guided, rather than judging how good you are at navigation. As long as everything that you do is safe and legal, you shouldn't get faults for getting lost.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Going the wrong way safely isn't the problem here; you can fail if you commit a serious/dangerous fault while going the wrong way.

For example, if you are in the left lane for turning left as instructed, then you unexpectedly turn right from a left-turn lane, that is totally incorrect and unsafe, so you will fail.

ReputationRep:
    Making a wrong turn is irrelevant as long as you drive safely, and you can of course ask the instructor to repeat the directions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sek510i)
    Don't worry!

The examiner should step in if you get lost, and help you find your way back again. They are not supposed to give you any faults for wrong turns, and you are not marked on how well you follow directions.

This bit of the test seems to be mostly focused on making sure that you don't panic when you're not being guided, rather than judging how good you are at navigation. As long as everything that you do is safe and legal, you shouldn't get faults for getting lost.

Good luck
    I agree.
    Plus you can ask him to repeat himself if you forget what you are asked to do.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is an older post but thought it'd be good to share my awkward story for any learners near their test :')

On my independant drive i got given a route along this one way system which is hectic and confusing, let alone with building works and diversion signs which are incorrect (my instructor warned me they are incorrect so i had no idea whether to follow them still and if not where to go after that!). I stayed calm and asked for the instruction which was just "follow signs to so and so" which in all honesty wasnt very helpful. In the end i had to do it 3 times until i finally got the right route! And guess what, i still passed first time so if your test is coming up soon and you are reading this don't worry, i had a strict, silent examiner and he didnt even fail me for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mia2001)

As others have said, no you won't! That is so long as you don't do anything dangerous by doing so. It's really to test that you are a safe driver not on your navigational skills!

ReputationRep:
    If you go wrong, your examiner may take over with directions, and then restart the independent driving again. This doesn't mean you've failed, it just means they need to tell you where to go or you'll get very lost and they won't get back in time for the next test.

You may also get told two sets of directions - ie follow signs for Manchester, and then after a while you get told to follow signs for Birmingham. This doesn't mean you've gone wrong, it's just that they couldn't find one place that met the requirements for the route.

ReputationRep:
    It's a test of your ability to drive safely, not a test of navigational skill. I notice this thread is a couple months old now, how did the test go mia2001?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stacks)
    No you won't fail for taking a wrong turn! The independent driving is mainly to assess your ability to drive without instruction really.

You can ask the examiner to repeat where you are going but obviously they can't tell you to take the second exit at the roundabout etc, that's down to you following the road signs.

Have you practiced with your instructor some independent driving? We found out that I was a much better driver when we just went out and drove and didn't talk haha.

Good luck!
    The entire point of the Independent driving phase of the practical test was to move away from being told which turning to take at every junction which was a requirement of the old fixed routes

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyones advice here . I am happy to say I passed my driving test last month, was soo happy that day on the fourth attempt. The first 2 attempts I failed because of nerves, third i had a strict instructor and 4th test, I had the chief examiner but he was one of the softer instructors.

The strange thing is that i passed when i least expected to. I had a bad cold, it was raining heavy on that day yet i passed on a day that out of all the test days, was the worst weather and I had a cough which was distracting me. I was able to take the correct exits still. Now i know, never give up!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.