The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

10:56 for numerical which seems pretty standard but 11:26 for verbal :/ not sure if I have messed up or not -.-
I had loads of questions for the numerical, must have been at least 15-20 and took 20 minutes. All easy calculations though.

I'm so glad most other people only had about 6 questions for the verbal too! Maybe it was just supposed to be very easy?
Reply 302
Only had 6 questions for the verbal. Felt a lot of my answers were cannot say. The numerical went much longer for me, must have been 15 to 20 questions at least. Surprised the verbal was so short, hopefully this doesn't mean failure.
Yet to do the tests. So does the amount of questions you have depend on how you do on the first lot of questions. Pretty confused by the scoring. Last year was just a set amount of questions and they took the top x %
Just done verbal so far. 12 minutes. Definitely got the last question wrong having thought about it more clearly. No idea whether the rest went well or not!
Original post by bitsambobs
Just done verbal so far. 12 minutes. Definitely got the last question wrong having thought about it more clearly. No idea whether the rest went well or not!

Why are people having massively different number of questions?
I guess as the tests are adaptive as they are ramping up the difficulty they are seeing how hard they can make them, if you get a few wrong there is little point in making them any harder.

The more questions you get the harder they can make them so you get more of them.

That is purely a guess though and i might be waaaaaay off the mark.
I had about 20 numerical questions, but only 7 verbal questions, which I felt were mainly 'cannot say'. Curious as to how they determine how many questions to ask.

Hoping time is not a factor here as the numerical took me 1hr 34 mins due to my computer crashing every 2 minutes
Reply 308
Original post by angrybettyiv
I had about 20 numerical questions, but only 7 verbal questions, which I felt were mainly 'cannot say'. Curious as to how they determine how many questions to ask.

Hoping time is not a factor here as the numerical took me 1hr 34 mins due to my computer crashing every 2 minutes

I'm sill yet to do the tests but I'd also be interested to know whether time is a factor or not. Last time it was timed so was able to plan my way through knowing how long I had left to complete it. In fact last time I didn't answer all the questions in the set time but still made it to AC.

I'd hazard a guess that the more questions you get then the more they've adapted to your ability. But if I get 100% right on 5 questions but it takes me 3 hours then surely that's gonna go against me. Really not sure but then I guess I won't know until I do it. Might be a balance of time and accuracy.
Reply 309
So I did my numerical one today and just as I started my husband came back from work very early, which was unusual so I got worried then told him to let me get on with the test! Got quite annoyed as I planned to do it today so no distruptions! Must admit took me a while to get my composure back lol but tbh regardless of that I don't think I did well as even though the questions did get more difficult, I did take an hour and 5 mins to finish which seems too slow! Hope everyone gets on well xx I would say do more practice tests so you get quicker cos even though it's not timed I do really think they factor the time taken.
Well, I've now done both. 12 minutes for verbal and 62 minutes for numerical! I don't know if that means I'm good at one and bad at the other or just too difficult to assess in numerical.
Reply 311
I done the verbal test today took 12 minutes in total & had about 6/7 questions. The numerical test took me 50 minutes & was really difficult I thought
The amount of time you take plays no part in your final mark.

If your read the FAQ, you score is worked out by two factors: how many questions you answered correctly and how difficult these questions were.
I am glad a lot of other people only got a few questions for the verbal though! Makes me feel a bit better.
Reply 314
Original post by Kneale
The amount of time you take plays no part in your final mark.

If your read the FAQ, you score is worked out by two factors: how many questions you answered correctly and how difficult these questions were.

Just wondering whether time will play a factor in how many questions are generated or their difficulty.
Reply 315
So I looked around for information on how the tests work. Found this brief video that is fairly basic but might help answer a few questions people have:

https://youtu.be/E98xi9ynm_s

There are much more complex videos about how the algorithms work etc, but based on what people are saying on here I'd imagine the tests are broken into 'banks' of 6 questions. Read into that what you will... More questions may just indicate it took longer to get a precise estimate on your ability, and the video suggests the question difficulty isn't a linear progression but will jump around depending on your answer to each question/bank of questions.
so is the verbal question T/F/can't say?

whatabout numerical? is it like percentages. ratios etc? I did one for PWC and that was pretty much it.

Also, the more questions you do, the better your score will be?

I'm reading the max questions somene had for numerical was 20 but verbal only 6?
Original post by JDW87
Just wondering whether time will play a factor in how many questions are generated or their difficulty.

I really have no idea how to work out what is good or bad regarding the adaptive tests!
Are there 2 separate tests for the numerical and verbal reasoning tests, meaning am I able to do them in 2 different sittings or would I have to do them simultaneously? Thanks
Original post by luwigal
Are there 2 separate tests for the numerical and verbal reasoning tests, meaning am I able to do them in 2 different sittings or would I have to do them simultaneously? Thanks

Yes you can do them In seperate sittings.

I have just done both of mine. Found them ok.

I did the verbal in just over 8 minutes and got 7 questions. Numerical took me just under 20 minutes but only got 6 questions. I was double checking my answers on that one.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending