The Student Room Group

American High School Student wanting to study in France

Hi everyone, Im a high school student in California with a 3.6 GPA and a 30 on my ACT. I want to study economics, and am looking for which Grande Ecole or other schools would be a good fit or even if I could get into any. Ive looked online and cant really find anything on if I would get accepted. I also speak Farsi and passed the AP French test by only studying French for 3 years (meaning I count as fluent). So the language wouldnt be a problem. Thank you so much.
Reply 1
im in us navy need help on a probably easy answer lol., ...a manager loaded and packed 180 senior citizens boxes @ feeding america in less than 1 hour, what was their the cycle time, just a quiz i been taking out at sea .probably easy as hell but im not really a math guy thanks
Reply 2
Original post by alisamani
Hi everyone, Im a high school student in California with a 3.6 GPA and a 30 on my ACT. I want to study economics, and am looking for which Grande Ecole or other schools would be a good fit or even if I could get into any. Ive looked online and cant really find anything on if I would get accepted. I also speak Farsi and passed the AP French test by only studying French for 3 years (meaning I count as fluent). So the language wouldnt be a problem. Thank you so much.

Passing the AP French test doesn't make you fluent enough to study at University level in French.

Also, you are asking UK high school students for somebody in America trying to get to France- very few of them will know either the US or French systems well enough to be helpful. There is a US site that is similar - college confidential - and there are several posters there who know a lot about the French system.
Reply 3
Original post by alisamani

I live in France and know the system but I don't know much about the american system. A lot of the Grandes Ecoles are based on "concours" to get in - you sit exams along with the rest of the applicants. There are lots of different grande ecoles depending on what specific course you want.
I know that french students in high school generally do a "prépa" class for 2 yrs after high school (different ones exist for different écoles) to prepare for the concours.
I would probably advise you to talk with a careers advisor from your school as they would probably be better informed about how to apply to french schools from the US. best of luck with your goals!
I have good news for you: the best schools of economics in France teach in English and select their students (most of them international) by a standard application process and not by competitive exams. They are:
1) Paris School of Economics -- formed by the School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences (EHESS), the École Normale Supérieure (ENS), École Polytechnique (X), Ponts ParisTech, and the University of Paris 1: Panthéon-Sorbonne.
2) Toulouse School of Economics -- a school of the University of Toulouse 1

The bad news is that the Paris School of Economics only select at the postgraduate level, the Toulouse school however has a bachelor's program. For a bachelor's you can try as well Sciences Po, but I wouldn't recommend it for a postgraduate course in economics.

Quick Reply

Latest