Imperial College London Postgraduate Applicants 2017/2018

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Tried searching for this thread but only a 16/17 exists, and I think it's time for a fresh start with the new application period around the corner!

What are you applying for, and what's your background?

I'm applying for the advanced MSc in Computer Science (Machine Learning). I've been looking into the courses for over 3 years now, have spoken to the admissions tutors over this period in person and by email. Mainly wanted to know my standing for the advanced degree with a non CS first degree. Was basically told I should apply to the conversion course instead. So after graduating I decided to get some extra experience, and I'm now in Japan on the Daiwa Scholarship, will be getting some insane research experience at the AI research centre in Tokyo, and am using this is my extra push for the advanced course! Apart from that, my background is a 1st class (80%) MEng in Aero from Imperial, with a 1 year exchange at NUS (CAP 4.5/5 ~84%).

Good luck to all applicants!

ReputationRep:
    Hello.. I'm also applying for the MSc in Computer Science but in the conversion course since my Bachelors was in Mechanical Engineering.
    According to the requirements, GRE is not required but all MSc applicant's are advised to provide a score, hence, I'm preparing for the GRE which I plan to take in December.

How did you get in touch with the tutors? I would love to do that as well.

Please get in touch and good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    Looking to apply to the MSc in Finance and MSc Investment and Wealth Management

I'm a senior (final year of school) at the University of Washington in Seattle. My undergraduate degree is going to Business Administration and my concentration is finance. I currently have a 3.5 but have some hard classes ahead of me.

I was a Summer Analyst at Cascadia Capital an investment bank this past summer, and have also interned at PriceWaterhouseCooper as a tax intern. I'm looking to hopefully intern one more time before my application.

I don't know whether I should take the GMAT or not, I know it's optional. I think I am going to study for it, and if I do well enough send my scores in.

Other than that any advice or tips would be awesome, as well as anyone who can weigh in on my chances. Looked at LSE and LBS as well, those might be stretches, and I like Imperial's curriculum more. I'm also an international student from The United States if that matters.

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    No advice to give my side as I'm still applying haha. But for those of you looking, most PG taught applications opened yesterday .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PNW2London)
    Looking to apply to the MSc in Finance and MSc Investment and Wealth Management

I'm a senior (final year of school) at the University of Washington in Seattle. My undergraduate degree is going to Business Administration and my concentration is finance. I currently have a 3.5 but have some hard classes ahead of me.

I was a Summer Analyst at Cascadia Capital an investment bank this past summer, and have also interned at PriceWaterhouseCooper as a tax intern. I'm looking to hopefully intern one more time before my application.

I don't know whether I should take the GMAT or not, I know it's optional. I think I am going to study for it, and if I do well enough send my scores in.

Other than that any advice or tips would be awesome, as well as anyone who can weigh in on my chances. Looked at LSE and LBS as well, those might be stretches, and I like Imperial's curriculum more. I'm also an international student from The United States if that matters.

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!
    You seem to match the profile of the kind of students they look for. I have also contemplated the management course once upon a time. I advice you take the GMAT or GRE. Since they must/recommend for all MSc applicants especially if you are going into a quantitative field.

https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business...-requirements/

Also do not write off London Business School or London School of Science
    and Economics, These are top schools with respect to Finance and management courses.

ReputationRep:
    GRE is ONLY required for those taking courses in the Computing department (MSc). But only recommended for the standard conversion. It also says this on the application page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onomesotu)
    You seem to match the profile of the kind of students they look for. I have also contemplated the management course once upon a time. I advice you take the GMAT or GRE. Since they must/recommend for all MSc applicants especially if you are going into a quantitative field.

https://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business...-requirements/

Also do not write off London Business School or London School of Science
    and Economics, These are top schools with respect to Finance and management courses.
    Which course are you applying for during this application cycle? I asked an admissions adviser and she said that 50% of applicants submit a GMAT for MSc Finance/ Investment & Wealth Management.

I'm trying to decide if my application could be strong enough without it. I want to apply ASAP , and if I decided that I would take the GMAT, I would have to wait till February at the earliest.

ReputationRep:
    Hello.. I'm also applying for the MSc in Computer Science but in the conversion course since my Bachelors was in Mechanical Engineering.
    According to the requirements, GRE is not required but all MSc applicant's are advised to provide a score, hence, I'm preparing for the GRE which I plan to take in December.

How did you get in touch with the tutors? I would love to do that as well.

Please get in touch and good luck to you too.
    Sorry, missed this.

GRE is "recommended". To be honest, anywhere you see recommended, I'd replace with "necessary". If your application is anything but amazing, it could be a real downer. I think it's absolutely pointless from an academic point of view; they can't be testing my English as I've lived here since I was born, and of course completed a 4 year undergrad at Imperial. They seriously couldn't be testing my high school maths, because again, I come from a mathematical degree (as does anyone else applying). It must purely be as something they can use to compare students with each other (we all come from different academic backgrounds, but GRE results would be consistent), or they just need one more layer of filtering. Either way, it's an extra $300 odd I've had to fork out, and a lot of preparation time when I could be focusing on more relevant material related to the course I want to pursue.

I got in touch with the tutors when I was a student at Imperial. It was relatively easy as I had access to their email addresses, and of course worked on campus and had an imperial email address.

Good luck with the application! If you have any ideas about what the next stage is I'd like to know (interview? straight offer?). Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Which course are you applying for during this application cycle? I asked an admissions adviser and she said that 50% of applicants submit a GMAT for MSc Finance/ Investment & Wealth Management.

I'm trying to decide if my application could be strong enough without it. I want to apply ASAP , and if I decided that I would take the GMAT, I would have to wait till February at the earliest.
    Hi, I'm applying for the conversion course In MSc Computing. I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from Finland.

Like I mentioned earlier, try to do everything which would make your application as strong and as competitive as possible. You can as well contact the admissions advisor or something and ask what they recommend. Your profile looks great but you can not know how others compare. If you take the GRE or GMAT in 2 months, it is still gives you room for early applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Sorry, missed this.

GRE is "recommended". To be honest, anywhere you see recommended, I'd replace with "necessary". If your application is anything but amazing, it could be a real downer. I think it's absolutely pointless from an academic point of view; they can't be testing my English as I've lived here since I was born, and of course completed a 4 year undergrad at Imperial. They seriously couldn't be testing my high school maths, because again, I come from a mathematical degree (as does anyone else applying). It must purely be as something they can use to compare students with each other (we all come from different academic backgrounds, but GRE results would be consistent), or they just need one more layer of filtering. Either way, it's an extra $300 odd I've had to fork out, and a lot of preparation time when I could be focusing on more relevant material related to the course I want to pursue.

I got in touch with the tutors when I was a student at Imperial. It was relatively easy as I had access to their email addresses, and of course worked on campus and had an imperial email address.

Good luck with the application! If you have any ideas about what the next stage is I'd like to know (interview? straight offer?). Thanks!
    I think you coming from Imperial undergrad will be obviously favored especially if you had strong grades.

I think you are right about the need for GRE.

Yeah I agree with you on the time and money spent on GRE would definitely be better spent preparing for the course by studying related material. But what can we do? it is as it is.

You said some course are open for application, but the website says we mid-november..

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for the conversion course In MSc Computing. I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from Finland.

Like I mentioned earlier, try to do everything which would make your application as strong and as competitive as possible. You can as well contact the admissions advisor or something and ask what they recommend. Your profile looks great but you can not know how others compare. If you take the GRE or GMAT in 2 months, it is still gives you room for early applications.
    Moi!

I'm a student from Estonia also applying for Imperial next year, but for MSc Investment and Wealth Management I wish the best of luck for us!

I have been wondering if they do take people from our region or if they are more interested on ~western european~ students...

ReputationRep:
    Why would that make even the slightest difference oO?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kasschaud)
    Moi!

I'm a student from Estonia also applying for Imperial next year, but for MSc Investment and Wealth Management I wish the best of luck for us!

I have been wondering if they do take people from our region or if they are more interested on ~western european~ students...
    Tere,

Good luck indeed to us. If you aren't aware, the application is open now for the 2017/2018 students. I got a mail from imperial about it.

I think they take most qualified and suitable applicants because I believe they have their standards to uphold.

Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Tere,

Good luck indeed to us. If you aren't aware, the application is open now for the 2017/2018 students. I got a mail from imperial about it.

I think they take most qualified and suitable applicants because I believe they have their standards to uphold.

Fingers crossed.
    Onometus and Tere,

are you both going to take the GMAT?

I am still on the fence about it

ReputationRep:
    Onometus and Tere,

are you both going to take the GMAT?

I am still on the fence about it
    Hi there,

I am taking the GRE in December. I have started preparing for it. I don't know your full situation, but if you can afford it, and can create time to study for it, I don't see any harm. It can only serve a bolster your application.

Regards from cold FInland

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am taking the GRE in December. I have started preparing for it. I don't know your full situation, but if you can afford it, and can create time to study for it, I don't see any harm. It can only serve a bolster your application.

Regards from cold FInland
    I think I am going to take it in March or possibly a month sooner. Might as well I need it for other programs I am applying to anyways.

Good look to you from rainy Seattle, WA

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking the gre next week and will be skipping the essay sections. I'm only applying for imperial with gre and via email they made it clear they don't look at it. I'd rather spend my time preparing for other things than something they won't look at.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    I'm taking the gre next week and will be skipping the essay sections. I'm only applying for imperial with gre and via email they made it clear they don't look at it. I'd rather spend my time preparing for other things than something they won't look at.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good luck with your GRE!

Tell us how it went.

ReputationRep:
    GRE is today!

I've had little to no preparation time with my internship, but did a couple of practice papers and got around 155/167 for qual/quant. So if I can replicate that, or just a little worse then I should be fine, I hope!

ReputationRep:
    Had my GRE yesterday. Absolute worst possible thing that could have happened, happened. Part way through my penultimate exam the system froze and I was sat there staring at a screen for 3 hours before they could fix it with no access to water or food. In total a 7 hour exam, and by the time the system came back, the remaining time had been reduced and I had to re-answer the questions. I still powered through as best as I could have done under the situation, and am easily above the threshold Imperial have asked for, but it still feels like I've been cheated and my true score won't shine through! Oh well, at least it's over and I can concentrate on the application itself now!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.