Can I get into a nursing degree? (via apprenticeship)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I recently start an apprenticeship as a Mental Health Care Assistant in a hospital and its for 18 months. Whilst I do this, I'll be doing a Level 3 Health and Social Care diploma, however its not a BTEC. I've looked at the entry requirement for Kings Mental Health Nursing and this is what it shows; http://prntscr.com/cqfv1g so I'm not sure my qualification is even permissible. I asked my college about it and they said I should speak to the career advisor (which I have to do on Friday) because my apprenticeship can convert to UCAS points or something but does that even matter if they don't accept it in the first place? I'm not sure if I should continue with this apprenticeship if I'll have to spend another year or 2 doing a similar course that is accepted by the unii? But then again the Mental Health Care Assistant job is something I really want to do for at least a year because its a chance for me to get experience and do something that I'm really passionate about. I'm not sure what to do?? Or what would be the best route to take at this moment. Even though I really want to keep this job/role, I think getting into mental health nursing is my main priority. Also I don't want to go back to A levels.

Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemadhatter)
    So I recently start an apprenticeship as a Mental Health Care Assistant in a hospital and its for 18 months. Whilst I do this, I'll be doing a Level 3 Health and Social Care diploma, however its not a BTEC. I've looked at the entry requirement for Kings Mental Health Nursing and this is what it shows; http://prntscr.com/cqfv1g so I'm not sure my qualification is even permissible. I asked my college about it and they said I should speak to the career advisor (which I have to do on Friday) because my apprenticeship can convert to UCAS points or something but does that even matter if they don't accept it in the first place? I'm not sure if I should continue with this apprenticeship if I'll have to spend another year or 2 doing a similar course that is accepted by the unii? But then again the Mental Health Care Assistant job is something I really want to do for at least a year because its a chance for me to get experience and do something that I'm really passionate about. I'm not sure what to do?? Or what would be the best route to take at this moment. Even though I really want to keep this job/role, I think getting into mental health nursing is my main priority. Also I don't want to go back to A levels.

Help

If your heart is set on becoming a mental health nurse then you need to be sure that you have the appropriate qualifications or are working towards them. There is no point wasting your time and money sitting qualifications which will be useless to you.

If you are only looking at Kings, then you need to contact their admissions department to get clarification about whether they would accept the diploma - this is something you will need to ask the universities you are interested in directly about, rather than your college careers service as their knowledge of specific university entry requirements will be limited. Based on whether the qualification is accepted, you need to decide whether right now you want more experience in this care assistant role or whether you want to focus on your nursing application.

On one hand, this HCA role is giving you a qualification, but if it is not one that is going to be accepted as part of your nursing application it is probably not worth doing. It is, however, useful experience. If it turns out that they do accept it and you are really enjoying it, there is no reason why you could not continue if you wanted. I would caution, however, that even if the qualification is accepted, it is not likely to be the quickest way to get onto a nursing degree, and you would likely be quicker to complete an access course. There would be nothing to stop you volunteering or doing work experience while doing this, so you can still get experience while working towards a qualification that will get you onto your career path.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    If your heart is set on becoming a mental health nurse then you need to be sure that you have the appropriate qualifications or are working towards them. There is no point wasting your time and money sitting qualifications which will be useless to you.

If you are only looking at Kings, then you need to contact their admissions department to get clarification about whether they would accept the diploma - this is something you will need to ask the universities you are interested in directly about, rather than your college careers service as their knowledge of specific university entry requirements will be limited. Based on whether the qualification is accepted, you need to decide whether right now you want more experience in this care assistant role or whether you want to focus on your nursing application.

On one hand, this HCA role is giving you a qualification, but if it is not one that is going to be accepted as part of your nursing application it is probably not worth doing. It is, however, useful experience. If it turns out that they do accept it and you are really enjoying it, there is no reason why you could not continue if you wanted. I would caution, however, that even if the qualification is accepted, it is not likely to be the quickest way to get onto a nursing degree, and you would likely be quicker to complete an access course. There would be nothing to stop you volunteering or doing work experience while doing this, so you can still get experience while working towards a qualification that will get you onto your career path.*

Okay the first thing I'll do is email the universities that I want to apply for and ask them if my qualification would be eligible for the course.

I was thinking about the access course, its just I need to be 19 for that and I literally turned 18 in July. I really wish this course was only one year because it would mean that I would have a both a job and work experience and then I would do the access course which would be another year and then I would be able to apply for the mental health degree.

Would it be a good idea to continue the HCA for a year and then drop out? Or would that mean that my experience would not count? I mean of course it would count but it would it make it harder for me to get a good reference from the NHS because I would have basically broken the contract which is 18 months?? (Idk how that whole thing works)

Its just that I went through so many applications processes to get this position and its such a convenient role especially for what I want to apply for and it just seems like a shame to start all over again which could take me months to find a job, then work experience for a long period of time but less than a year then maybe volunteer work. Unless of course I continue to work until I find a placement that is only a year or less (which is also hard since I don't have any experience which is why an apprenticeship was so convenient since they train you) but it most likely wont be mental health specific which sucks.

I feel like I'm in a really sticky position and I wish I'd looked into this before I'd started applying and before I even started the job.

But I mean if worse comes to worse I could complete the apprenticeship for 18 months and THEN do the access course. It just means that it will take me 3 years to get into the degree.

ReputationRep:
    Okay the first thing I'll do is email the universities that I want to apply for and ask them if my qualification would be eligible for the course.

I was thinking about the access course, its just I need to be 19 for that and I literally turned 18 in July. I really wish this course was only one year because it would mean that I would have a both a job and work experience and then I would do the access course which would be another year and then I would be able to apply for the mental health degree.

Would it be a good idea to continue the HCA for a year and then drop out? Or would that mean that my experience would not count? I mean of course it would count but it would it make it harder for me to get a good reference from the NHS because I would have basically broken the contract which is 18 months?? (Idk how that whole thing works)

Its just that I went through so many applications processes to get this position and its such a convenient role especially for what I want to apply for and it just seems like a shame to start all over again which could take me months to find a job, then work experience for a long period of time but less than a year then maybe volunteer work. Unless of course I continue to work until I find a placement that is only a year or less (which is also hard since I don't have any experience which is why an apprenticeship was so convenient since they train you) but it most likely wont be mental health specific which sucks.

I feel like I'm in a really sticky position and I wish I'd looked into this before I'd started applying and before I even started the job.

But I mean if worse comes to worse I could complete the apprenticeship for 18 months and THEN do the access course. It just means that it will take me 3 years to get into the degree.
    Often you will get a quicker response by phoning the admissions department, but if you want to email, make sure you chase it up. You really can't make any sort of decision until you have this information so this is a priority.*

Once you have started a 18 month contract it will look bad to drop out. Whether your manager is understanding and still gives you a good reference very much depends on their personality and your relationship with them, but it certainly is a risk and not one I personally would take. Some of these courses have small print that states they will seek costs from you if you do not complete them to cover the training they have given you - in practice I'm not sure how often this happens but again, something to consider.*

Three years to get to the point where you can start a three (or four) year degree seems ridiculous. There really isn't any need for you to waste that much time. It's a very long-winded way to get to the point you want to be at. Personally if I was in your situation I would look into either the access course (and work in any sort of job up until then, plus MH volunteering), or alternatively look into the other qualifications your chosen university accepts such as the BTECs etc. and see whether they are a feasible option. Make sure to look into all options but use the university admissions criteria to guide it.*

ReputationRep:

It's best to talk to Kings like a previous poster mentioned, they may have more information on the diploma you are doing and whether or not they accept it. Baring in mind that some universities will consider you based on life experience and grades, usually mature students however. It's worth noting that the access course is free if you don't hold a Level 3 qualification but you must be able to state why you dropped out of A Levels and think doing an access course is beneficial and you have to be 19. I want to become a biomed scientist and after my A Levels I'm going to do an access course after having personal issues meant I couldn't do Science at A Levels. You have to think; can you deal with 18 months in your apprenticeship whilst gaining experience, if continuing then it's likely you won't be able to do an access course until two years later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Often you will get a quicker response by phoning the admissions department, but if you want to email, make sure you chase it up. You really can't make any sort of decision until you have this information so this is a priority.*

Once you have started a 18 month contract it will look bad to drop out. Whether your manager is understanding and still gives you a good reference very much depends on their personality and your relationship with them, but it certainly is a risk and not one I personally would take. Some of these courses have small print that states they will seek costs from you if you do not complete them to cover the training they have given you - in practice I'm not sure how often this happens but again, something to consider.*

Three years to get to the point where you can start a three (or four) year degree seems ridiculous. There really isn't any need for you to waste that much time. It's a very long-winded way to get to the point you want to be at. Personally if I was in your situation I would look into either the access course (and work in any sort of job up until then, plus MH volunteering), or alternatively look into the other qualifications your chosen university accepts such as the BTECs etc. and see whether they are a feasible option. Make sure to look into all options but use the university admissions criteria to guide it.*
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    It's best to talk to Kings like a previous poster mentioned, they may have more information on the diploma you are doing and whether or not they accept it. Baring in mind that some universities will consider you based on life experience and grades, usually mature students however. It's worth noting that the access course is free if you don't hold a Level 3 qualification but you must be able to state why you dropped out of A Levels and think doing an access course is beneficial and you have to be 19. I want to become a biomed scientist and after my A Levels I'm going to do an access course after having personal issues meant I couldn't do Science at A Levels. You have to think; can you deal with 18 months in your apprenticeship whilst gaining experience, if continuing then it's likely you won't be able to do an access course until two years later.
    Oh gosh this is all really sucky :cry2: I was SO excited for this position and I've basically spent almost 2 month going through the processes to get it and now I have to start from the beginning :sad: I feel like I've really ****ed up.

I'll ring the admission up and ask them but I have a strong feeling they wont accept it.

So I guess that means I'll start looking for a job and MH experience until I can apply for the access course because the main reason I wanted to take this route was so I can get experience and earn money at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh this is all really sucky :cry2: I was SO excited for this position and I've basically spent almost 2 month going through the processes to get it and now I have to start from the beginning :sad: I feel like I've really ****ed up.

I'll ring the admission up and ask them but I have a strong feeling they wont accept it.

So I guess that means I'll start looking for a job and MH experience until I can apply for the access course because the main reason I wanted to take this route was so I can get experience and earn money at the same time.
    There isn't much point getting upset about the situation, you're better off using your energy to sort it out and find a solution. You're lucky you've posted now and not 8 or 9 months into this qualification. There is nothing you can do to go back in time to change things, so you just need to look at the situation now and decide where to go from here.*Phone the admissions department today if possible so that you can get the ball rolling and get organised.
    Make sure you look into all of your options. You never know, you could do a BTEC on a January intake if they will accept your age etc. so there could be more options than just the access course. It isn't something I know loads about but something that you can work out by contacting King's and your local colleges. If the access course is the route you want to take, then start applying for any sort of job but also look into volunteering and work experience. From now onwards you need to focus on getting your nursing degree application to be the best it can be.*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.