To Medical Students

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When you wrote your personal statement, did you leave lines in between paragraphs or not? I've now reached the 47 line limit with a PS considered strong by the three teachers that have reviewed it, however one of them says I should not use lines in between paragraphs. He says this because obviously, it takes away from your available lines. The other teachers however state it's best to leave lines, as it makes it easier to read, and makes it more presentable as it wouldn't just be a block of text(like the former). I'm in quite a dilemma, as I would gain 4/5 lines from it which is enough to talk about some books and hobbies I've read and done (all the important aspects, such as empathy, teamwork etc have already been covered with relevant volunteering in the PS).

Any response is appreciated.

P.S some people say the tutors from uni see it as a block of text regardless if you leave spaces or not, is that true?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i wanna know this 2.

ReputationRep:

v

Which do you think someone who has read 30-40 PSs that day will be able to pick up the most information from?

And which do you think that same person will read in a bad mood because of the poor layout?

There are *some* universities with crappy admissions systems that strip out EVERYTHING...but they're in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

v

Which do you think someone who has read 30-40 PSs that day will be able to pick up the most information from?

And which do you think that same person will read in a bad mood because of the poor layout?

There are *some* universities with crappy admissions systems that strip out EVERYTHING...but they're in the minority.
    Lol, so are you saying we should leave lines between paragraphs (so it looks neater than the block of sentences)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantomx60)
    Lol, so are you saying we should leave lines between paragraphs (so it looks neater than the a block of sentences)?
    Seems that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Seems that way
    I think so to, the block of sentences is just hard to read tbh. I spaced mine out and still have 4 lines lol.

How did you finish off your PS btw? (just wondering since I'm finding it pretty hard to finish mine off nicely)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantomx60)
    I think so to, the block of sentences is just hard to read tbh. I spaced mine out and still have 4 lines lol.

How did you finish off your PS btw? (just wondering since I'm finding it pretty hard to finish mine off nicely)
    It should sort of reaffirm your intro. Something to show how much you want to study that degree.

ReputationRep:
    It should sort of reaffirm your intro. Something to show how much you want to study that degree.
    Ok, could you provide an example please?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have enough space so removed white line breaks in mine, and still got 4/4 offers!

However, if possible, I would recommend putting in the breaks - it makes it more readable.

ReputationRep:
    When you wrote your personal statement, did you leave lines in between paragraphs or not? I've now reached the 47 line limit with a PS considered strong by the three teachers that have reviewed it, however one of them says I should not use lines in between paragraphs. He says this because obviously, it takes away from your available lines. The other teachers however state it's best to leave lines, as it makes it easier to read, and makes it more presentable as it wouldn't just be a block of text(like the former). I'm in quite a dilemma, as I would gain 4/5 lines from it which is enough to talk about some books and hobbies I've read and done (all the important aspects, such as empathy, teamwork etc have already been covered with relevant volunteering in the PS).

Any response is appreciated.

P.S some people say the tutors from uni see it as a block of text regardless if you leave spaces or not, is that true?
    I was in the same dilemma. I just cut down my sentences by removing uneccessary phrases but still keeping the meaning.

E.g. "I take part in playing football" to "I play football".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    I was in the same dilemma. I just cut down my sentences by removing uneccessary phrases but still keeping the meaning.

E.g. "I take part in playing football" to "I play football".
    Nice advice. I just wonder if medical schools will take into account the line skipping when considering all candidates' statements. In theory, it seems unfair to penalise someone who used less lines due to paragraphing and someone who used them for text(and vice versa).

ReputationRep:
    Nice advice. I just wonder if medical schools will take into account the line skipping when considering all candidates' statements. In theory, it seems unfair to penalise someone who used less lines due to paragraphing and someone who used them for text(and vice versa).
    They won't. A 3000 character PS can be a much better than a 4000 one. Overall, keeping it concise also makes it nicer to read as long as the content is there.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What social media "stories" do you use?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.