Do I need a medical background to work in public health?

    • Thread Starter

    I've been looking into doing a masters in public health as I am a politics graduate with an interest in working in the health sector mainly to do with policy. The modules on a MPH look really interesting and down my street, however when I've been looking they seem to be geared towards those working in the healthcare sector already, yet I don't know why? The masters itself doesn't look inherently scientific and it seems like my politics background would be well suited. I've found a few that don't mention healthcare experience as a necessity but I wondered if anyone can shed some light on this? I don't know if I am misunderstanding what the sector entails.

    Have you thought of contacting the universities you're applying to and asking specifically if they prefer a health background for their masters course? If they accept you, then surely you don't need a certain background - but it's worth clarifying that before you go to all the trouble of applying.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.