Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Job making me physically ill- stress, not eating right and run down.

Hi all, I've been working in this job (McDonalds) for nearly 6 months and in this time I've been put back on anti depressants for anxiety/depression due to my high stress working conditions and bullying etc.

Not only this, I can't sleep, I'm always exhausted and tired. Other days I'm restless and full of energy it's like a merry go round but it isn't pleasant,

I'm not eating well at all, since sometimes I work late shifts don't get in until 10.00-10.30 and it's such an effort to make something, but usually it's just because I'm so run down with stress I'm not hungry.

All I eat is McDonalds, certainly for the past week or two, with gaps of eating decent home cooked meals. *Usually what happens is, I get paid buy food as and when I need it, eat decent food and have at least some healthy stuff, nibble on apples or whatever. But then, I run out of money and suffer for a week, and get like Diahrreoa, stomach cramps and feel nausea. It's not a regular occurrence, however, last night I waited up until midnight to get paid to Order in Dominoes as hardly ate yesterday. I had a fair bit and within an hour felt ill and sick.

I went to be but felt almost hung over even though I wasn't, tension headache and sickness. Couldn't sleep and woke up and vommited all th food up. Perhaps it might be food poisioning related or the fact I'm malnourished.*

I'm a bit concerned, but know to some extent it's my own fault. What can I do?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all, I've been working in this job (McDonalds) for nearly 6 months and in this time I've been put back on anti depressants for anxiety/depression due to my high stress working conditions and bullying etc.

Not only this, I can't sleep, I'm always exhausted and tired. Other days I'm restless and full of energy it's like a merry go round but it isn't pleasant,

I'm not eating well at all, since sometimes I work late shifts don't get in until 10.00-10.30 and it's such an effort to make something, but usually it's just because I'm so run down with stress I'm not hungry.

All I eat is McDonalds, certainly for the past week or two, with gaps of eating decent home cooked meals. *Usually what happens is, I get paid buy food as and when I need it, eat decent food and have at least some healthy stuff, nibble on apples or whatever. But then, I run out of money and suffer for a week, and get like Diahrreoa, stomach cramps and feel nausea. It's not a regular occurrence, however, last night I waited up until midnight to get paid to Order in Dominoes as hardly ate yesterday. I had a fair bit and within an hour felt ill and sick.

I went to be but felt almost hung over even though I wasn't, tension headache and sickness. Couldn't sleep and woke up and vommited all th food up. Perhaps it might be food poisioning related or the fact I'm malnourished.*

I'm a bit concerned, but know to some extent it's my own fault. What can I do?*
    A few things I can think of which will hopefully help:
    Talk to your doctor and see if there's anything they can do in terms of treatment or advice.
    Consider talking to work and altering your hours of finding a better suited job (I know this may not be an option though).
    If there are issues at you work talk to HR. You mentioned work conditions and bullying so I would suggest you do this. Look into company policies too and see if anything can help you there.
    Plan around your hours and try to facilitate better eating etc...
    If you have weekends or a particular day off you could use it to make a bulk of meals to freeze and re-heat later. You can google or look on sites like pinterest for good recipe ideas for this type of cooking.
    If you have awkward hours don't be afraid to alter your sleep pattern to make it easier. There's no
    Pasta dishes are relitively quick, cheap and effort free so you might find them easier. You can also get meals designed to just dump in the oven/ microwave that could offer you a quick and easy meal that's better for you than fast food. Cooking in bulk is often cheaper too so may help you with the money aspect.
    Look into therapy as well as ADs to help with your mh issues. It can be really helpful for teaching you how to deal with difficult situations like this.

I know it can be difficult, but try to find the time to give yourelf some relaxation and care even if it's just a few minuets to listen to some music and have a drink.
    I hope situations improve for you and you can get yourself in a better mental state.

ReputationRep:
    if you really hate the job look for a new one

in the meantime make a real effort to work on your lifestyle, go to bed at a good time even if you struggle to sleep, eat proper food, you should be able to budget well enough to make your money last (not getting dominoes is a start), it's not easy but anyone would feel *****y with the lifestyle you have (not saying you're not genuinely depressed just that it won;t help) and while you can't help doing shift work you can help the rest of the time

(Original post by doodle_333)
    if you really hate the job look for a new one

in the meantime make a real effort to work on your lifestyle, go to bed at a good time even if you struggle to sleep, eat proper food, you should be able to budget well enough to make your money last (not getting dominoes is a start), it's not easy but anyone would feel *****y with the lifestyle you have (not saying you're not genuinely depressed just that it won;t help) and while you can't help doing shift work you can help the rest of the time
    I have been doing for the last year after finishing University. Life afterwards and 'living' has been difficult to adjust too.

I have some upcoming interviews for job in my ideal career path so hopefully they go okay, but with me feeling mailaise and run down its hard to really prepare.

I have just gone and bought some fruit and eaten some, feeling much better but not 100%.

I will book an appt with GP and discuss with him.

ReputationRep:
    You need to put your energy into looking for a new job right now and gradually look into your health/mental health issues with your GP

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    You need to put your energy into looking for a new job right now and gradually look into your health/mental health issues with your GP
    Yeah I have been doing. I've got an interview for Wednesday. Hopefully if I ace it i'll be in with a chance at an awesome company. I'm currently undergoing counselling and on meds via GP referral, as well as trying to get more nutritious foods into my diet.

ReputationRep:
    The best of luck with everything ,OP.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.