Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can a relationship with an asexual person and a sexual person work out long term?

I'm worried because I never really get excited about anything related to sex and my man is very sexual, he loves it all and I don't share the same enthusiasm.

ReputationRep:
    Theres got be a compromise, either you ask him and tell him how you feel or it's up to him if he wants to leave the relationship. Or --- are you open to idea about having a polygamous relationship?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it, personally.

ReputationRep:
    No, either you'd have to be willing to have sex with him or you have to end it.

(Original post by BigMan Ting)
    Theres got be a compromise, either you ask him and tell him how you feel or it's up to him if he wants to leave the relationship. Or --- are you open to idea about having a polygamous relationship?
    Neither of us wants to be in a polygamous relationship. I have only recently discovered that I am asexual, well more demi sexual to be honest. So far I have been going with the flow and doing whatever I feel comfortable with. I really wish I could get into it, but it just doesn't happen for me. I wanna feel turned on like most people in the world.

(Original post by Eternalflames)
    No, either you'd have to willing to have sex with him or you have to end it.
    I am willing to have sex with him. I do most things because he enjoys it. I wish I enjoyed it too and desired sex.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I couldn't do it, personally.
    I take it you're a sexual person?

ReputationRep:
    Then you can find many outlets to explore from. Do it together but at your own pace, there might be something there that you'd like but just haven't found it yet.

Also you shouldn't do things because he enjoys it. Sex should be something that you should both enjoy and if you are not getting anything out of it then it's sad to say but you are setting yourself up for misery for not being yourself.

(Original post by BigMan Ting)
    Then you can find many outlets to explore from. Do it together but at your own pace, there might be something there that you'd like but just haven't found it yet.
    That's true. This is a new relationship and we went from being friends so it could take a while. Thank you I will give this a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am willing to have sex with him. I do most things because he enjoys it. I wish I enjoyed it too and desired sex.
    Then I guess you'd have to put up with his high sex drive

ReputationRep:
    Neither of us wants to be in a polygamous relationship. I have only recently discovered that I am asexual, well more demi sexual to be honest. So far I have been going with the flow and doing whatever I feel comfortable with. I really wish I could get into it, but it just doesn't happen for me. I wanna feel turned on like most people in the world.
    Hey OP, I am demisexual and my boyfriend isn't. It honestly depends on the person. For me and my boyfriend it works because originally our relationship focused on our shared interests etc before real intimacy became a part.

There is nothing wrong with being asexual etc. Before I met my boyfriend, I never fancied people, I would lie. Now I can't see myself with anyone else except him.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how sexual he is. I could NOT do that.

(Original post by Airmed)
    Hey OP, I am demisexual and my boyfriend isn't. It honestly depends on the person. For me and my boyfriend it works because originally our relationship focused on our shared interests etc before real intimacy became a part.

There is nothing wrong with being asexual etc. Before I met my boyfriend, I never fancied people, I would lie. Now I can't see myself with anyone else except him.
    Hi thank you for your reply. Its nice to know someone else is on the same page. My boyfriend and I were friends (colleagues) beforehand and and we spent a fair amount of time just hanging out and intimacy didn't come into play for a while.

I never really like any guys and I used to lie about crushes when I was in high school. I've been called frigid a handful of times and up until recently I believed it. I have no interest in any other man right now, never have crushes on celebs.

Although my boyfriend is a sexual person sometimes we just lay in bed and sleep or cuddle on the sofa. We don't have to always be doing something sexual, however when he has his urges it does last a long period of time and I go with the flow to please him mostly. Sometimes I do it to test the waters incase I magically get really into it. Its not all bad, sometimes I enjoy but if we don't get intimate then I'm fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    Demi-sexual's a funny term. Guess it's useful for explaining a distinction between "I wanna bang allatime" and "eehhh I'm not feelin it but I will when we rlly get going" but when people start claiming that it is a distinct sexuality from gay/straight/aaaaayyy(lmao)sexual then I have an aneuryism.

As to the question at hand, I suppose I am a less sexual type of dude compared to others (compared to my friends I seem like some form of celibate monk due to the fact that I have no interest in one night stands) so I'd be likely fine with dating an asexual person. However some people I know seem to stay in semi-failing relationships purely for the regular intercourse. In the end it depends on just how sexual they are (cause it's kind of a spectrum really) combined with how much you're okay with "going with the flow" as you say. I can't imagine having sex you don't particularly enjoy participating in is that great.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it could. Personally I'd struggle to be in a relationship with someone who didn't want sex very much.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're a sexual person?
    Indeed. I know you said you still have sex with him but for me, the other person has to enjoy sex and not just be doing it because I want it even when they don't particularly want to.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.