Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Really struggling to choose a degree ?

ReputationRep:
    Its kind of a long story but i would really appreciate some advice.

I've always planned on doing a history degree - that's where most of my interest is/what I've always enjoyed learning best and I love how broad the subject is. When i finished my A-Levels i did a Photography foundation course at my local uni (as its free for under 19's) and ended up applying for some Commercial Photography courses - and I got 3 unconditional offers - but last minute i changed my mind and declined my offers, so right now I'm taking a gap year.
    I didn't get the grade i expected at A Level for History so I took photography as a 'safe' option if that makes sense??

I'm really interested in history / warfare / globablisation / terrorism /gender and race issues, those types of topics so recently I've looked at some Anthropology and Humanities courses - which i had never heard of before.

Basically I wondered if anyone else knew of some courses that my interests would fit well with - I'm slightly nervous I wouldn't be able to handle a straight History degree

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a straight history degree and my topics range from the history of crime and punishment in the 18th and 19th centuries, atrocities in Europe 1914-2000, rebellion and partition in Ireland, 20th century Britain. I could've chosen modules on American, African or even Cold War history too.
    I'm not studying anywhere the likes of Oxford but the lecturers are active and published still, the uni has fab history resources and I could even mix it up with some politics or other modules had I wished.
    You need to get out to some universities, make some comparisons between courses because single degrees differ place to place but think about maybe combined honours programmes too. Think about what course will have you in the best position for your desired career. Some colleges offer university run degrees through them that are a little less defined so you could potentially choose to do a degree in just humanities and pick and choose your interests as your modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grace_courtney)
    Its kind of a long story but i would really appreciate some advice.

I've always planned on doing a history degree - that's where most of my interest is/what I've always enjoyed learning best and I love how broad the subject is. When i finished my A-Levels i did a Photography foundation course at my local uni (as its free for under 19's) and ended up applying for some Commercial Photography courses - and I got 3 unconditional offers - but last minute i changed my mind and declined my offers, so right now I'm taking a gap year.
    I didn't get the grade i expected at A Level for History so I took photography as a 'safe' option if that makes sense??

I'm really interested in history / warfare / globablisation / terrorism /gender and race issues, those types of topics so recently I've looked at some Anthropology and Humanities courses - which i had never heard of before.

Basically I wondered if anyone else knew of some courses that my interests would fit well with - I'm slightly nervous I wouldn't be able to handle a straight History degree
    There are also degrees such as war and/or security studies, and international relations. Have a look at those provided by King's in London.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.