Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year of university and am thinking about dropping out as I don't enjoy the course anymore. However, I am a member of two interest societies, both of which I enjoy very much. Is it possible to continue being a member of these societies if I am no longer a student or would I be kicked out?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You probably wouldn't be an official member but there's no stopping you from attending the events. People did that in a couple of my societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    You probably wouldn't be an official member but there's no stopping you from attending the events. People did that in a couple of my societies.
    University security might have other ideas though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withdrawing)
    University security might have other ideas though.
    Not if the events are outside of university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Not if the events are outside of university
    You didn't specify that though. But that would be good, especially if it is at say a library or bar that's really cool to go to! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the groups both meet weekly at the university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooccoo Jr.)
    I am in my second year of university and am thinking about dropping out as I don't enjoy the course anymore. However, I am a member of two interest societies, both of which I enjoy very much. Is it possible to continue being a member of these societies if I am no longer a student or would I be kicked out?
    Hello ,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like you want to drop out - I'd suggest at least getting to the end of your second year as you've come quite far already but up to you - just make sure you make an informed decision.

In regards to staying within a society, there shouldn't be a problem with it - I'd suggest talking to your university and the societies themselves and seeing what they say - this would be the best way of going about things.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi - you need to ask your student union, as presumably that's what the societies operate through.
    Bristol I know offered a paid membership for non-students, thereby allowing them to join some societies I think. They'd be able to advise.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Ooccoo Jr.)
    I think you would be allowed to stay, but you would have to join as a member of the public. That would mean you need to be signed into the SU by an existing member.
    Check with the SU or someone on the committee.

ReputationRep:
    I've joined uni socs when I've been between contracts and effectively a member of the public. Just needed the SU to rubber-stamp it, which they did, so it was no big deal. I wasn't the first non-student/non-staff member they've had. They don't publicise or encourage it, as they could find SU funds being spent on providing leisure activities for a lot of non-uni people. But they don't object if you have established links to the uni.

Check with the soc committee, but I don't anticipate a problem.*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.