The Student Room Group

Ritalin and Prozac

Hiya. So, I have borderline and adhd, and moving into my second year of university I decided to go back on ADHD meds. I can't take straterra (atomoxetine) as it induced intense 24/7 headaches and lucid nightmares. I'm on Ritalin now, but I know that fluoexetine and ritalin don't always work well together. My fidgeting has got worse; my vision is intensely blurry sometimes; I am borderline insomniac now, as well disassociating more than ever. But I can finally concentrate on class! I can form real sentences now, without stuttering and being confused, forgetting words. Words don't all meld on the page anymore.

Has anyone taken this combo before? Would anyone say it's worth stopping or continuing the meds? If I stop I know my academic performance will drop intensely, but is it worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by TheFoxPrince
Hiya. So, I have borderline and adhd, and moving into my second year of university I decided to go back on ADHD meds. I can't take straterra (atomoxetine) as it induced intense 24/7 headaches and lucid nightmares. I'm on Ritalin now, but I know that fluoexetine and ritalin don't always work well together. My fidgeting has got worse; my vision is intensely blurry sometimes; I am borderline insomniac now, as well disassociating more than ever. But I can finally concentrate on class! I can form real sentences now, without stuttering and being confused, forgetting words. Words don't all meld on the page anymore.

Has anyone taken this combo before? Would anyone say it's worth stopping or continuing the meds? If I stop I know my academic performance will drop intensely, but is it worth it?

No personal experience with those i'm afraid, but I suggetst you discuss your options with a doctor. Meds can interact in loads of different ways and can often vary a lot from person to person. It may be that for you a different combination would be better or that adding other things or fiddling with doses could level you out. I think it really comes down to what is more important to you and what you want, but personally I would think than insomnia, blurry vision etc would be a good reason to stop and try other things. I came off my ADD meds cos they were making me twitch at night and I couldn't sleep (and kept kicking my partner :P). For me it was an easy desicion though since i'd not had the time to notice any benefits yet so I wasn't really loosing out on anything.

Also, on a side note, have you applied for DSA? If not I suggest you talk to student support about it. It can be a big help. :smile:
I take both of these a long with some other psych meds.

I agree with the above, discuss with your doctor.

I never had any of these issues, only thing is I get insomnia of I take a dose of Ritalin after 5pm.
Reply 3
I can't really talk to my doctor. He doesn't listen and I only see him once every two or three months and I was denied a request for a new one :/ and for obvious reasons GPs don't mess with meds a psych has prescribed

I felt like I didn't really deserve DSA to be honest...

Quick Reply

Latest