Graduated with a third class degree in Computing

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I've graduated with a third-class degree in Computing from a Russel group university.I'm currently looking for a full-time graduate job, just don't know how to explain to employers about third class honours. Exams wasn't for me even though I revised so hard for them. I did well in the coursework side getting 1st and 2:1 in the course, just that the exam results let me down. Please could anyone give me advice on what to say to employers at interviews? As I feel my degree classification is letting me down. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's important that you are positive about it and that you show your employers that you can bounce back from failure. You can tell them how you plan on improving, what have you learned from the experience and what you'll do differently when working for the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InspireXan)
    I've graduated with a third-class degree in Computing from a Russel group university.I'm currently looking for a full-time graduate job, just don't know how to explain to employers about third class honours. Exams wasn't for me even though I revised so hard for them. I did well in the coursework side getting 1st and 2:1 in the course, just that the exam results let me down. Please could anyone give me advice on what to say to employers at interviews? As I feel my degree classification is letting me down. Thanks
    Emphasise your strengths on your cv; if you have good coursework marks then you can probably do a computing job. Do you have any experience working on projects extra-curricular? If not I would recommend getting experience working on other projects and then put that on your CV because experience is more important

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you put the classification on the application, if you got an interview it's obviously not a complete barrier. I'm not sure there's a great deal you can say as such - you can mention bits you did well on and that you did go to a Russell Group University but I'd try to change the topic as soon as you can!

The good news is that once you've been working for a year or two your work experience will be seen as much more important than your degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InspireXan)
    You don't need to put down your grade on your CV - instead list all the experiences and skillsets you've gained, but only loosely tie it to your degree - keep that degree listed in the Academia section instead. Nor do you need to go looking for 'graduate' jobs. Just look for any technical roles and work your way up. What you need is work experience, that's your main priority. Once you're in, your degree won't matter anymore. If you're applying for normal junior roles at SMEs, in most cases they will focus more on your abilities and experiences as opposed to your degree - where they'll probably just assume that your recruitment agent has already sifted you and deemed you good enough for the interview in the first place.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.