Coping strategies and avoidance help please

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I struggle a lot with the want/need to do things that I shouldn't and it's really difficult to ignore because it's gotten so bad that my arms feel like they're literally pulsing or stinging when I want to do something. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I can conquer this because it's becoming quite a severe issue.

Thank you in advance
    C x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smolcinnamonroll)
    I struggle a lot with the want/need to do things that I shouldn't and it's really difficult to ignore because it's gotten so bad that my arms feel like they're literally pulsing or stinging when I want to do something. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I can conquer this because it's becoming quite a severe issue.

Thank you in advance
    C x
    Hey there. This sounds like it could be some form of OCD. Going to your doctor and looking into therapy could be a big help. There's some kinda complex stuff behind OCD and things like CBT can really help to untangle all that and make it easier for you to understand an manage.

Mind.org has some good info and advice on OCD and other condtions as does Sane.org. There is also a programme called Camp OCD which looks at a group of young people suffering OCD and their treatment.

OCD comes in a variety of severities and you will have most likely heard of the more severe cases if you have heard of it. Even in it's milder forms it can still have a big impact on yor life and is worth seeing somebody about.

Before seeing a doctor you can try a couple of things to make it easier on yourself. This can depend quite a bit on what the urges are, but for me I would get a nasty feeling on my hands after touching a lot of things. To help me manage this I keep a specific moisturiser with me in my bag so I can use it when I get the feeling. It's not a proper solution but it does make it more managable for me than needing to go wash my hands and hope the soap doesn't set me off etc. I also keep hand sanitiser with me incase my hands feel dirty.
    I found that by allowing myself to engage in certian urges it made me more capable of putting off others. Before bed is my time to humour some urges (tapping things, adjusting lids etc) and I find it helps to have that time where i'm not constantly fighting it.

There is also an approach to gradually build up your resistance by waiting before completing the ritual and gradually building up how long you wait each time. This can be very stressful and is best done as part of therapy though.

Therapy is really your best long term solution be it OCD or not. They have experience dealing with things like this and know the best ways to deal with it.

If you are under 18 you count as a child and can be refered to a service called CAMHS which has therapy and other services all under one roof. Although it is for "children" it deals with a lot of teenagers and you won't be treated like some 10 yr old kid. You can sign your own forms and make your own decisions about treatment.
    If you are 18 or over you need to be refered directly to a psychiatrist or therapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hey there. This sounds like it could be some form of OCD. Going to your doctor and looking into therapy could be a big help. There's some kinda complex stuff behind OCD and things like CBT can really help to untangle all that and make it easier for you to understand an manage.

Mind.org has some good info and advice on OCD and other condtions as does Sane.org. There is also a programme called Camp OCD which looks at a group of young people suffering OCD and their treatment.

OCD comes in a variety of severities and you will have most likely heard of the more severe cases if you have heard of it. Even in it's milder forms it can still have a big impact on yor life and is worth seeing somebody about.

Before seeing a doctor you can try a couple of things to make it easier on yourself. This can depend quite a bit on what the urges are, but for me I would get a nasty feeling on my hands after touching a lot of things. To help me manage this I keep a specific moisturiser with me in my bag so I can use it when I get the feeling. It's not a proper solution but it does make it more managable for me than needing to go wash my hands and hope the soap doesn't set me off etc. I also keep hand sanitiser with me incase my hands feel dirty.
    I found that by allowing myself to engage in certian urges it made me more capable of putting off others. Before bed is my time to humour some urges (tapping things, adjusting lids etc) and I find it helps to have that time where i'm not constantly fighting it.

There is also an approach to gradually build up your resistance by waiting before completing the ritual and gradually building up how long you wait each time. This can be very stressful and is best done as part of therapy though.

Therapy is really your best long term solution be it OCD or not. They have experience dealing with things like this and know the best ways to deal with it.

If you are under 18 you count as a child and can be refered to a service called CAMHS which has therapy and other services all under one roof. Although it is for "children" it deals with a lot of teenagers and you won't be treated like some 10 yr old kid. You can sign your own forms and make your own decisions about treatment.
    If you are 18 or over you need to be refered directly to a psychiatrist or therapist.
    I really appreciate your help, however I fear I haven't been clear enough in my original post because it makes me uncomfortable to say it but the thing I shouldn't do refers to a specific thing, SH, and honestly this is the closest I can get to saying it. I am speaking to someone with CAMHS and it's quite helpful but I'm nervous for next year when I will be 18.

Thank you so much for the help and I'm sure this will be incredibly helpful to people who are struggling with OCD and I apologise for not being specific enough orignally
    C x

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate your help, however I fear I haven't been clear enough in my original post because it makes me uncomfortable to say it but the thing I shouldn't do refers to a specific thing, SH, and honestly this is the closest I can get to saying it. I am speaking to someone with CAMHS and it's quite helpful but I'm nervous for next year when I will be 18.

Thank you so much for the help and I'm sure this will be incredibly helpful to people who are struggling with OCD and I apologise for not being specific enough orignally
    C x
    Oh okay, sorry for the misinturpretation. It can be kinda hard to talk much about that on here due to site rules so i'll start by just listing some options for advice and support.
    Samaritans (email and phone service)
    Sane.org forum (specifically for mh problems and has loads of different catagories- you do need to be 18 though)
    Mind.org (info and advice)
    Mind also have offices some places which I think you can go into. There was one by my college.
    111 (if you need medical advice or are struggling at any point)
    999 or A&E for emergencies (or 111 if you aren't sure)
    Childline (although it's for children that includes teenagers so actually has some pretty good advice including specificly relting to SH issues)
    School/ college/ uni (student support and access to free counseling)
    Advice for OCD may still help you depending on how you urges present.

Feelings like this usually stem from a condition like depression and getting on top of that condition is a huge part of recovery. Your doctor is the best person to talk to and can refer you to therapy or prescribe you antidepressants. I assume you have already been through seeing a doctor as you are using CAMHS though so you know that already.
    You can talk to your CAMHS worker about what your options are when you move on. Therapy is still available, you just access it a bit differently.

As far as short term goes i'll try my best to give advice without breaking rules...
    Tricking your brain: If you have an urge related to a physical sensation try tricking your brain. Ice, cold showers, sucking on lemons and other "safe pains" can be good ways to experience a shock that will kick the urges out of your system whilst staying safe.
    Distraction: anything that takes your focus away from the urges. Maybe exercise, talking to somebody, listening to music or playing a game.

Hope that helped a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Oh okay, sorry for the misinturpretation. It can be kinda hard to talk much about that on here due to site rules so i'll start by just listing some options for advice and support.
    Samaritans (email and phone service)
    Sane.org forum (specifically for mh problems and has loads of different catagories- you do need to be 18 though)
    Mind.org (info and advice)
    Mind also have offices some places which I think you can go into. There was one by my college.
    111 (if you need medical advice or are struggling at any point)
    999 or A&E for emergencies (or 111 if you aren't sure)
    Childline (although it's for children that includes teenagers so actually has some pretty good advice including specificly relting to SH issues)
    School/ college/ uni (student support and access to free counseling)
    Advice for OCD may still help you depending on how you urges present.

Feelings like this usually stem from a condition like depression and getting on top of that condition is a huge part of recovery. Your doctor is the best person to talk to and can refer you to therapy or prescribe you antidepressants. I assume you have already been through seeing a doctor as you are using CAMHS though so you know that already.
    You can talk to your CAMHS worker about what your options are when you move on. Therapy is still available, you just access it a bit differently.

As far as short term goes i'll try my best to give advice without breaking rules...
    Tricking your brain: If you have an urge related to a physical sensation try tricking your brain. Ice, cold showers, sucking on lemons and other "safe pains" can be good ways to experience a shock that will kick the urges out of your system whilst staying safe.
    Distraction: anything that takes your focus away from the urges. Maybe exercise, talking to somebody, listening to music or playing a game.

Hope that helped a bit more.
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help.

On another note, what sort of things do the rules ban? I've only been on here for a couple of days so I wasn't aware of anything along these lines.

(also I hope you're doing okay with your OCD and anything else and I'm here for you if you need to vent to anyone or anything and I'll try and help you as much as I can)

C x

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help.

On another note, what sort of things do the rules ban? I've only been on here for a couple of days so I wasn't aware of anything along these lines.

(also I hope you're doing okay with your OCD and anything else and I'm here for you if you need to vent to anyone or anything and I'll try and help you as much as I can)

C x
    Thanks for the support and kind words. I've been at a stable point for a good while now thanks to treatment

Rules basically ban talking about self harm and suicide because it could be dangerous if the wrong advice is given and can trigger people etc. You can usuall mention it in passing or talk about it more as a concept, but going into detail will get your post removed and they'll probably give you some sort of warning. It can be a bit hit and miss depending on context so it's best to be cautious and try not to talk about them.
    You can find the rules and read them yourself for a better explination here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._relationships

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.