What is wrong with me? Is this OCD?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't drink from the same cup or bottle that someone has already drank from unless it was been thoroughly washed. I can't share food with people if we are eating from the same plate because they are putting the fork/spoon in their mouths and putting it back in the food. Before I cook I always have to clean the kitchen spotless because of a weird paranoia that something will get into the food if I don't. I hate travelling on public transport because I get so grossed out after seeing a bit of rubbish and when I'm walking on the streets I don't look around to avoid seeing litter. If I see something gross, it takes a long time to get that thought other stuff.

It's really weird because if I have feelings for someone, I'm fine with kissing and other stuff but still couldn't share a drink with them.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's called "not wanting to get ill from people that don't care about cleanliness"

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like OCD, or at least if it was, it would be a very mild form.

If it continues or causes you more distress then it would be worth getting assessed by your GP or mental health professional

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of like that I guess. I physically can't drink from the same bottle/can that somebody else has drank from even if it's a family member. If somebody touches my hands, I have to was them straight away and use anti bacterial gel. Also in restaurants I literally inspect my glass to make sure it's clean. But I don't think I have OCD, although I'm particular about certain things like that my room for example is really messy but that doesn't bother me. So it's probably a mild form, I don't think it's extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    I'm sort of like that I guess. I physically can't drink from the same bottle/can that somebody else has drank from even if it's a family member. If somebody touches my hands, I have to was them straight away and use anti bacterial gel. Also in restaurants I literally inspect my glass to make sure it's clean.[/b] But I don't think I have OCD, although I'm particular about certain things like that my room for example is really messy but that doesn't bother me. So it's probably a mild form, I don't think it's extreme.
    Same here, lol. I sanitise my hands once I reach my destination every time I go out. I spring clean my room every week, but I guess that someone with OCD would do more. You and the others are probably right; if I do have it then it's a mild case, but it does bring my mood down at times because of the images that are difficult to get out of my head. Sometimes I end up having an itch attack if it's really bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I can't drink from the same cup or bottle that someone has already drank from unless it was been thoroughly washed. I can't share food with people if we are eating from the same plate because they are putting the fork/spoon in their mouths and putting it back in the food. Before I cook I always have to clean the kitchen spotless because of a weird paranoia that something will get into the food if I don't. I hate travelling on public transport because I get so grossed out after seeing a bit of rubbish and when I'm walking on the streets I don't look around to avoid seeing litter. If I see something gross, it takes a long time to get that thought other stuff.

It's really weird because if I have feelings for someone, I'm fine with kissing and other stuff but still couldn't share a drink with them.
    It can be hard to tell between OCD and "germaphobe" sometimes and the real indicator is what your reaction is and how much it interfeers with your life.
    It could certinally be possible that you have OCD or something that is developing into OCD so it could be worth you seeing a doctor. I suggest you look more into OCD to see if it sounds right to you. Mind.org is a good place to start as is OCDUK.
    OCD is often also related to anxiety conditions and can present in a minor form as part of an anxietty condition so that could also be worth looking into.

You might find things like "do I have OCD" quizzs online and although they can be alright for giving a basic indication but OCD is rather complex and most online quizzes just won't give an accurate representation. Even mental health charities can't necessarily give a proper indication of what it feels like since it is very personal and can be difficult to comprehend if you've not experienced it. If you are concerned about it as a possibility your only real option is to go speak to your doctor.

Either way, OCD or not, if it is bothering you therapy could be a big help. You can get down to the reason you do it and with that knowledge you can work on minamising it. CBT is a good type of therapy for OCD and anxiety conditions, but just plain ol' talking therapy can be good too. It partially comes down to what works best for you personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    It can be hard to tell between OCD and "germaphobe" sometimes and the real indicator is what your reaction is and how much it interfeers with your life.
    It could certinally be possible that you have OCD or something that is developing into OCD so it could be worth you seeing a doctor. I suggest you look more into OCD to see if it sounds right to you. Mind.org is a good place to start as is OCDUK.
    OCD is often also related to anxiety conditions and can present in a minor form as part of an anxietty condition so that could also be worth looking into.

You might find things like "do I have OCD" quizzs online and although they can be alright for giving a basic indication but OCD is rather complex and most online quizzes just won't give an accurate representation. Even mental health charities can't necessarily give a proper indication of what it feels like since it is very personal and can be difficult to comprehend if you've not experienced it. If you are concerned about it as a possibility your only real option is to go speak to your doctor.

Either way, OCD or not, if it is bothering you therapy could be a big help. You can get down to the reason you do it and with that knowledge you can work on minamising it. CBT is a good type of therapy for OCD and anxiety conditions, but just plain ol' talking therapy can be good too. It partially comes down to what works best for you personally.
    Thanks, I will check out these websites and do some more research.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.