Chess Player calls for Boycott of Iranian Tournament over Womens Rights

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nazi Paikidze-Barnes, a 22-year-old champion chess player, is boycotting next year's World Chess Championship competition in Iran.

"I think it's unacceptable to host a women's World Championship in a place where women... are treated as second-class citizens," she says.

In Iran women are legally required to wear a hijab or headscarf.

Nazi has started a petition, asking organisers to either change the location of the 2017 event or to make it optional for women to cover their heads.

FIDE, the world chess federation, says Iran "was the only country which made a proposal to host the event" and that no other member nations made any objections.

Mitra Hejazipour, a 23-year-old female grandmaster from Tehran, told the Guardian: "This is going to be the biggest sporting event women in Iran have ever seen; we haven't been able to host any world championship in other sporting fields for women in the past. It's not right to call for a boycott. These games are important for women in Iran; it's an opportunity for us to show our strength."

Nazi has been accused of not understanding Islamic culture or Iranian society.

British chess player Nigel Short has been tweeting in support of Nazi's campaign, describing "scandalous religious and sexual discrimination against women players in Iran".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ips-over-hijab

ReputationRep:
    "Nazi chess player". :rofl3:

I wonder if she minds her name.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time I've agreed with a Nazi.

ReputationRep:
    10/10 clickbait title :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    The Iranian wowsers are upsetting footballers too:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ld-cup-8989163

This, astonishingly, is over mourning the death of Mohammed's grandson who died in 680AD at the battle of Karbala! Imagine having to publicly mourn the death of Caedwalla of Wessex, who reigned at about the same time.

ReputationRep:
    It's surprising that there is a chess championship for women and that it is considered a "sport".

However, I'm not surprised by that:
    "Since talking about her plans to boycott the event, Nazi has faced criticism claiming that she doesn't understand Islamic culture and Iranian society." :facepalm:

Unless it is Chess Boxing it doesn't count as a sport. And yes, Chess Boxing is an actual sport.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    The Iranian wowsers are upsetting footballers too
    Ten points for using the word wowsers. Is there anyone under the age of about 90 (other than you and me, obviously) who would know that word? Or has it made a resurgence in some regional area?

ReputationRep:
    Any minute now hoards of TSR feminists will be along to support Nazi and condemn this pratice.......honestly.......

ReputationRep:
    I did Nazi that coming.

ReputationRep:
    "Nazi has been accused of not understanding Islamic culture or Iranian society."

Oh I think she perfectly understands it and sees how vile it is. and just becaue it is culture does not mean it cannot be bad. If we kept to all culture we would be still sacrificing animals to the gods and settling matters with a good Fight

ReputationRep:
    Im telling you....any minute now....hoards of em........honestly.......They wouldn't ignore it and throw Nazi under the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Any minute now hoards of TSR feminists will be along to support Nazi and condemn this pratice.......honestly.......
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  5.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    "Nazi has been accused of not understanding Islamic culture or Iranian society."

Oh I think she perfectly understands it and sees how vile it is. and just becaue it is culture does not mean it cannot be bad. If we kept to all culture we would be still sacrificing animals to the gods and settling matters with a good Fight
    Preceisely.*

You's gots to respect other cultures innit. All cultures are of equal worth. Even though some people cut off albino peoples' limbs for magic medicine and sacrifice people to sun gods. *

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.