Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

12th October: Is the internet the first place you go when you're ill? Watch

• Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Is the internet your first stop when you're ill? Have you ever bought medicines online?

On The Surgery this week we’re talking about the Virtual Doctor - how online self-diagnosis can be unreliable. More than half of meds bought online are fake or unlicensed according to the NHS.

Do you always google your symptoms when you’re sick? Have you self-diagnosed something that doctors missed? Is the internet turning you into a hypochondriac?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on Wednesday 12th October at 9pm on Radio 1 for help and advice on consulting the virtual doctor.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yep, no point going to the Dr when it's only something minor. Although, it has elevated my anxiety about certain illnesses, and the NHS's 'Cancer Campaign' hasn't really helped either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Is the internet your first stop when you're ill? Have you ever bought medicines online?

On The Surgery this week we’re talking about the Virtual Doctor - how online self-diagnosis can be unreliable. More than half of meds bought online are fake or unlicensed according to the NHS.

Do you always google your symptoms when you’re sick? Have you self-diagnosed something that doctors missed? Is the internet turning you into a hypochondriac?

Join Gemma and Dr Radha on Wednesday 12th October at 9pm on Radio 1 for help and advice on consulting the virtual doctor.

It depends; if it's something fairly trivial like a cold or flu I'll look on the NHS or Boots website but if there's something more serious such as blood in urine I'm at the doctors pretty quickly

ReputationRep:
    No,I just book an appointment T to see the doctor if It's not a cold
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, yes.

I'm so bad for Googling my symptoms and I've lost count of how many serious things I've diagnosed myself with over the years. Even as a kid before the Internet, I would read medical journals and dictionaries and was convinced I had everything under the sun and checked my body constantly for signs of illness and that was one many of the things that lead to a diagnosis of severe OCD as a child 20 years on and I'm still as bad. I'd never buy medicines online. I'm paranoid about them being laced or contaminated even when they come from a pharmacy, let alone when they come from some random place online :laugh:

I know Googling, especially when you have a mental illness like what I have, only adds to your obsession and it becomes a compulsion that you can't stop. At my worst, I gave up studying uni to study Google over what symptoms of my health I was worrying about. I could easily Google for 8+ hours a day. I had a bad spell of that recently again and thankfully, my Googling symptoms is slowing down. The last few days has only been about half an hour a day.

I've diagnosed myself with cancer, MS - you name it. The only time I ever got it right was with seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp but that's not serious and easy to spot when I really was seriously ill with pneumonia and cracked ribs, I put it down to a minor chest infection and a pulled muscle.

I do know Googling your symptoms does more harm than good and there's nothing better than going to a doctor who actually knows what they are talking about and can check you over physically but Googling is a hard habit to break, especially when you have severe OCD but I'm due to start therapy again tomorrow so I'll be working on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate going to the GP unless it's serious
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. The internet has given me enough hypochondria, if I think it's something worth seeing a doctor about I'll see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I Googled my symptoms once and genuinely spent four days terrified I had liver disease, only ever trust a GP.

ReputationRep:
    The internet is notorious for convincing you that you're about to drop dead when in reality you have something minor like a cold or something. The one thing I find handy is the NHS website. Their symptom checker (which I think is no longer available) has been useful to me in the past, for example when I had a suspected broken little toe, it effectively told me not to worry about it and go to Minor Injuries if it didn't improve (it did, I was fine). I also used the NHS website when I recently had had an eye twitch for around two weeks. It advised trying to get more sleep and attempting to de-stress (it listed stress and lack of sleep as causes) and my eye stopped twitching last weekend
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Dr Google is not an ideal health professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)

As a medical student who knows more than anyone to not rely on Google for diagnosis, I use it the most :cry:

Symptoms get me even more worried since beginning my degree, as I'm currently learning about all the worst-situation diseases.

Feeling cold? HYPOTHYROIDISM!!!

Runny nose? CSF RHINOHORREA!!!

Headache? OMG I HAVE A SUBARACHNOID HAEMORRHAGE I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

etc

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually not registered with a gp because I'm 25 but still live with my parents but they haven't registered me... so been relying on Google, WebMD and stuff I can buy at a pharmacy. I know I sound really bad
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    I'd never buy medication online, unless maybe the morning after pill from a place like Superdrug. It can get very expensive, and I wouldn't want to take the risk of taking something when I don't really know what it is. I use the internet a lot to help me decide when to see a doctor, when to call 111, when to head down to A&E or get an ambulance etc but I don't self diagnose with it

I've used the internet to determine that I probably have a personality disorder. Self-diagnosis of this kind is probably bad but there it is.

Yep I tend to go to the internet but it always scares me and its not accurate xD

Although there have been a lot of slip ups with GP's recently not catching a deadly disease and the patient died (she was a mother).

ReputationRep:
    I check the NHS website but I don't Google things. I had some hand pain and google'ed it. Found out I might have
    arthritis. I don't - it was a strain. All the advice tells you to consult a doctor anyway/

The internet is full of worst case medical advice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Google is great once you know what you have, because you can find others with the condition. But there's only a limited number of symptoms really, so each thing can be a symptom for a lot of conditions. If you feel dizzy it could be a heart problem or an ear infection, or just not eating etc. So it's kinda pointless to try to Google symptoms

Ive googled symptoms before and never been able to self diagnose. I booked a GP's appointment because i found a lump, the week whilst i was waiting to go to the appoinment I spent ALOT of time googling what could be wrong with me, and came to the conclusion it was 1 of about 13 things. Was reffered for tests and the lump somthing I had never heard mentioned on all the time id spent googling my symtoms (also luckily harmless )

ReputationRep:
    The internet will have you convinced that a headache is a brain tumour, a pimple is melanoma, a slightly swollen lymph node is lymphoma, a rash is HIV and a twitching muscle is motor neuron disease. Quite simply it is not and should not be used as a substitute for a doctor with years of training and experience. Period.

Save yourself a lot of stress and anxiety and just go to a doctor if you feel something is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point of going to the GP when they sit there and print a page from google that I've already seen myself? (rofl)

Literally the biggest waste of time unless you want to get a prescription for something.

To be fair, I imagine not all GP's are like this, but mine is, my mothers GP is, my sisters family GP is and so is the GP that sees my grandmother. Either that or they diagnose issues that turn out to be life threatening as a headache... :/

Perhaps if GP's had more time to see individual patients they would be able to properly diagnose them, but there we go.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources
Radio 1 - The Surgery

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.