Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Computing A452 and A453 help

ReputationRep:
    I really need help with these two pieces of coursework for my computing. Our teacher has told us that so far, our A453 coursework is severely lacking, and we are currently doing A452 (linux project). The main issue is just with A453 though since we're still doing A452.

We have only done task 1 so far, and I think I've mostly completed it, apart from maybe a little extra I could write for the evaluation. I've done a test table, variable list, flowchart and pseudocode, short analysis of the task we need to do, and a large document with screenshots showing testing and developments as the project has gone on. I haven't cited sources/done a bibliography, which I understand would probably be a good idea, but it's too late to do that for task 1 now.

My question is for anyone who has already passed their Computing GCSE, about what were the main points you were told to include to ensure you get the best grade possible? Apart from the missing sources and bibliography, mine is mostly complete but I only got marked in the bottom bracket (0-3) for all sections and I was usually one of the best in the class for computing.

Also, if I really try my hardest in task 2 and 3, can I pull my marks up to something better or does doing badly on one task heavily weigh down the rest of the assessment?

Any A452 tips would also be helpful but so far I'm finding that one a lot easier, since it has a heavier focus on research.

ReputationRep:
    I have already done my A453 but I don't think that adding even more stuff would give you more marks. Maybe you just need to add more to what you have done as I have done the same as you (flowcharts, pseudocode, test tables etc...). Make sure you do systematic testing and develop your justification for your code as well as its structure. Use sensible variable names, many people in my class just use the alphabet and move to the next letter each time they have a new variable (E.g. a = 4, b = "test") which I heard can cause you to lose marks.

I am doing A452 now but I am not doing the same task as you, I am doing JavaScript in my A452 and seems far easier than A453. Just remember to really show off your techniques/talent and make sure you justify your responses. (That being said don't go into great detail for every variable name or anything like that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMoroccanKid)
    I have already done my A453 but I don't think that adding even more stuff would give you more marks. Maybe you just need to add more to what you have done as I have done the same as you (flowcharts, pseudocode, test tables etc...). Make sure you do systematic testing and develop your justification for your code as well as its structure. Use sensible variable names, many people in my class just use the alphabet and move to the next letter each time they have a new variable (E.g. a = 4, b = "test" which I heard can cause you to lose marks.

I am doing A452 now but I am not doing the same task as you, I am doing JavaScript in my A452 and seems far easier than A453. Just remember to really show off your techniques/talent and make sure you justify your responses. (That being said don't go into great detail for every variable name or anything like that).
    Thanks for the help, and A452 is definitely easier and more enjoyable in my opinion too. I have named my variables sort of relating to their role, i.e. not just calling them 'a', 'b' etc. but I think the main problem is with the code I used needing a bit more refining and shortening, which I'll probably try to do after I finish task 2 and 3.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.