Reusing a Personal Statement

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To put it as simply as possible, I applied for university last year for Liberal Arts (History, French + Chinese), received all offers, so my personal statement must have been pretty good. This year, after completing A2s, I'm applying for Chinese Studies only, and thought that I might as well give Oxford a shot. Although most of my personal statement has been changed to orientate it towards Chinese Studies, there is one paragraph that I'm considering keeping the same which was all about my reading various history book surrounding China as I can't see the point in changing it.

Obviously this would get detected by the UCAS plagiarism filter, so universities would know that I've reused elements of my former PS. Would they - particularly Oxford - frown upon this, taking it as me not having the enthusiasm to write a PS from scratch? I have other commitments going on in my year out and just don't think I have the energy to write an entirely new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    To put it as simply as possible, I applied for university last year for Liberal Arts (History, French + Chinese), received all offers, so my personal statement must have been pretty good. This year, after completing A2s, I'm applying for Chinese Studies only, and thought that I might as well give Oxford a shot. Although most of my personal statement has been changed to orientate it towards Chinese Studies, there is one paragraph that I'm considering keeping the same which was all about my reading various history book surrounding China as I can't see the point in changing it.

Obviously this would get detected by the UCAS plagiarism filter, so universities would know that I've reused elements of my former PS. Would they - particularly Oxford - frown upon this, taking it as me not having the enthusiasm to write a PS from scratch? I have other commitments going on in my year out and just don't think I have the energy to write an entirely new one.
    If your PS flags UCAS's filter then a human will look at the report. If the only matches are to your own PS from previous years then no plagiarism is reported to your universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If your PS flags UCAS's filter then a human will look at the report. If the only matches are to your own PS from previous years then no plagiarism is reported to your universities.
    Oh right! That's good - when speaking to a professor, he seemed to imply that the university knows about the plagiarism being flagged up regardless. Maybe he just wanted to discourage me from reusing bits.

Thanks for your help.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.