MMath or Bsc - which is harder to get an offer for

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it harder to get an offer on an MMath course or not?

ReputationRep:
    From what I learned at open days; your chances are exactly the same. Perhaps if they cannot offer you a place on the MMath they will offer you a BSc? I'm not 100% sure so anyone feel free to correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiusMartius)
    Same uni,yep.
    Different unis, depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiusMartius)
    If you want to do MMath apply for MMath.

They can always offer BSc instead but if you aim low it's more difficult to move to a longer course (applies to student finance as well - switching from a 4 yr course to a 3 yr course is less hassle than the other way around).

ReputationRep:
    From my experience with MChem and Bsc (which I imagine is similar) the chances are the same. With mine however the offer was one grade higher for MChem, and if you didn't fell just short you'd be offered a place on the BSc to prove yourself and you can then transfer to MChem if you meet criteria after years one and two.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion there is no point doing the MMath at all.

If you just want a generic grad job then a BSc will suffice, and if you want a job that requires further qualifications then do the BSc plus a proper MSc (and then a PhD if needed).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.