Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently got my ears pierced, and soon the 6 weeks of having to keep the studs in will be over. After that i can wear different earrings but for the next 5 months they have to have the same 'post' style backing of studs. But I am absolutely SICK of wearing studs, and want to wear nice dangly ones/hoops, anything different really. But ive looked everywhere and i cant find any decent ones with the post backing. All the one like this that i have seen all look a bit 'pat butcher'! :eek: Does anyone know where i can find some decent earrings before i am driven mad by stud boredom?

ReputationRep:
    i got some hoops with post back from accessorize. i kind of gave up on that 'post-back' only rule, and it didn't do my ears any harm.. but yeah i'm stupid and it probably isn't the same for other people :P best to be safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    i've got 4 piercings and i've not a clue what post backing is? what is it - then i'll help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkHouse)
    i've got 4 piercings and i've not a clue what post backing is? what is it - then i'll help
    like a stud.

ReputationRep:

I presume it's like this.

When I got my ears pierced, I never stuck to a rule like that after the 6 weeks. You could maybe wear studs most of the time, and pretty dangly earrings in the evenings or when you go out. I don't think it would do any harm, although I'm no expert!

ReputationRep:
    Yes thats the thing i mean, i dont know if there is another name for it, the woman who pierced my ears just called it a post. Ah so its probarbly not that important to wear them after 6 weeks then? I havent had any piercings before so im probarbly just being too cautious!

ReputationRep:
    They won't be healed after 6 weeks either.

And costume jewellery is such awful quality to stick in healing piercings.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, just wear the backs of the studs on your new earrings? I was never told this (mind you I was 5 at the time) and I seem fine

ReputationRep:
    And I agree with the above. Wear good quality earrings; a)they look much better and b) no harm done to your ears

ReputationRep:
    um i was never told that and i ahve had mine done twice. First when i was 10 days old and the second when i was 10 years old. Never did they say not to wear a particulr type and when i was a baby my mum put hoops in my ears. i cringe at the pictures but my ears are fine.

ReputationRep:
    I've just had mine pierced too and I can take mine out this coming thursday. I have some studs waiting to change with... little pearl ones and some swarovski strawberries. Some studs are really nice... I'd like to wear dangles too, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsk)
    um i was never told that and i ahve had mine done twice. First when i was 10 days old and the second when i was 10 years old. Never did they say not to wear a particulr type and when i was a baby my mum put hoops in my ears. i cringe at the pictures but my ears are fine.
    That's because they were probably done by people with guns who know NOTHING about piercing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/18171430

ReputationRep:
    6 weeks??? That's not long enough. I assume you went somewhere like a hair salon.. and they used a gun. BAAAAAAAAD.

I'm not going to harp on about how bad piercing guns are right now, but I shall say; don't ever do it again. Go somewhere reputable where they use sterile needles and titanium jewellery.

ReputationRep:
    So guns are really bad then?:eek: I got it done in a reputable jewellers and the studs are titanium but now im worried! I didnt really know there was any other way, everyone i know had it done with the gun :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, guns are crap. Jewellers aren't piercers. Of course there's another way, you know...a NEEDLE. =/ I can't understand how some people don't think there's any way to pierce other than a gun.

If they're solid G23 titanium then that would be great for jewellery (well, apart from the design of butterfly studs in general) but it's more likely titanium-plated crap. My boyfriend ear studs were apparently titanium - they're definitely plated.

ReputationRep:
    ^Okay, I shall harp on about guns.

Firstly, they are made of plastic - which means they cannot be adequately sterilised using an Autoclave (clinical sterilising machine used to sterilise equipment). An alcohol wipe is not sufficient for the destruction off all living organisms and their spores.

Secondly, as the guns are not sterile before use, there is an increased risk of contracting blood borne infections such as the Hepatitis virus, or AIDs.

Thirdly, piercing guns work on a spring loaded mechanism which shoots an effectively, blunt, stud into the skin. This cause damage to the skin and surrounding tissue, instead of making a clean hole (which is what you get with a needle piercing).

People who use piercings guns are often ill equipped and not trained appropriately with regards to infection control and bodily fluids. Their knowledge of aftercare usually lacks and placement isn't 'taught' according to anatomy and physiology.

All in all, they're pretty dire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    ^Okay, I shall harp on about guns.

Firstly, they are made of plastic - which means they cannot be adequately sterilised using an Autoclave (clinical sterilising machine used to sterilise equipment). An alcohol wipe is not sufficient for the destruction off all living organisms and their spores.

Secondly, as the guns are not sterile before use, there is an increased risk of contracting blood borne infections such as the Hepatitis virus, or AIDs.

Thirdly, piercing guns work on a spring loaded mechanism which shoots an effectively, blunt, stud into the skin. This cause damage to the skin and surrounding tissue, instead of making a clean hole (which is what you get with a needle piercing).

People who use piercings guns are often ill equipped and not trained appropriately with regards to infection control and bodily fluids. Their knowledge of aftercare usually lacks and placement isn't 'taught' according to anatomy and physiology.

All in all, they're pretty dire.

Eeeek!! And to think I had my ears pierced 9 years ago in the Bromley branch of Claire's Accessories at the tender age of 11...oh dear. :eek:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.