Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mental health and getting things done Watch

Announcements

Hi, I have anxiety, OCD and possibly depression. I'm feeling a bit fed up at the moment because I find it really difficult to get things done. I basically procrastinate all the time, watching lots of TV and surfing the web. I feel basically constantly on edge and usually tired. I don't tend to finish things anymore- whether it be reading a book or any other hobbies or work-related pursuits. My room is often a mess and even when I do eventually clean it, it just gets messy again. I think about doing things but I don't tend to do many of them, if any, and sometimes I think of something like I'll read a book or play a game but then I think oh I could read this book instead or this book or this book and so on and when I think about doing things I often just think 'I can't be bothered'. I find it hard talking to people about this because they don't seem to understand, they don't know how I feel or think. My mind is often partly occupied by my ocd worries or some other sort of anxiety. And yes I have been to the doctor and am waiting on CBT but that doesn't help for now and even the CBT may not be able to help me with this issue and it's so hard to force myself to do things if I do eventually decide on something. I just want to enjoy things again and get things done.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I have anxiety, OCD and possibly depression. I'm feeling a bit fed up at the moment because I find it really difficult to get things done. I basically procrastinate all the time, watching lots of TV and surfing the web. I feel basically constantly on edge and usually tired. I don't tend to finish things anymore- whether it be reading a book or any other hobbies or work-related pursuits. My room is often a mess and even when I do eventually clean it, it just gets messy again. I think about doing things but I don't tend to do many of them, if any, and sometimes I think of something like I'll read a book or play a game but then I think oh I could read this book instead or this book or this book and so on and when I think about doing things I often just think 'I can't be bothered'. I find it hard talking to people about this because they don't seem to understand, they don't know how I feel or think. My mind is often partly occupied by my ocd worries or some other sort of anxiety. And yes I have been to the doctor and am waiting on CBT but that doesn't help for now and even the CBT may not be able to help me with this issue and it's so hard to force myself to do things if I do eventually decide on something. I just want to enjoy things again and get things done.
    Sorry for the late reply. This sounds really difficult, you're definitely not alone in it but that doesn't make things any easier. Not really sure what to suggest other than give CBT a good go when you get there as that can really help with this sort of thing. In the meantime, have you tried setting yourself targets for the day? Someone on here got me bullet journalling (google it!) which has helped me so much, with slightly different stuff to this but still. Make sure the goals are manageable, even stuff like getting out of bed or having a shower, making a nice meal etc if it's things you find hard. The pressure of having it down on paper and wanting to tick something off can make the difference sometimes.

Making decisions I'm terrible with so not really sure what to suggest, the journal thing could help although you'd still have to decide the night before. Also setting rewards for yourself if you finish something maybe? Not sure, I will have a think! In general though it might be worth going back to your GP, have a talk to them about how much it's affecting you etc as it might be they think medication or something could help you. That's been the thing that's made the biggest difference to me, just getting me off the ground enough to be able to actually work on stuff rather than just being stuck. You could also try something like Moodgym (online CBT) while you're waiting for the 'real' one but that's up to you. Hope things improve for you soon though either way

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.