Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Nursing woes

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm a second year student nurse and I'm struggling. I've spoken to the uni about my struggle with depression and they have been wonderfully supportive, but I feel it goes deeper than that. I am academic (so I'm told) but am struggling to motivate myself with going to class, let alone starting to plan for the sheer volume of assignments/exams. I feel totally overwhelmed and am just not sure this is the right thing for me, yet I feel I can't quit as I don't know what else to do and would feel like a failure. I know lots of people have had dips in confidence throughout this course but I really don't know how to pull myself through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirst.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of nursing students will feel like this at times!
    If you're feeling so overwhelmed you do have the option of taking a year out to gather yourself and have some time off before returning to the course.
    You will have a personal tutor that you can talk to as well and make use of the support staff available in university.
    I'd also make an appointment with your gp and talk to them as well as you will need a gp letter for any circumstances where you may want an extension to help you balance the work load.
    Unfortunately nursing is not easy and it can take its toll which is where a lot of people do drop out. But this should be done as an last resort if it is something you enjoy and want to do.
    Ultimately your health comes first so do what's best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirstmarie)
    Hi all

I'm a second year student nurse and I'm struggling. I've spoken to the uni about my struggle with depression and they have been wonderfully supportive, but I feel it goes deeper than that. I am academic (so I'm told) but am struggling to motivate myself with going to class, let alone starting to plan for the sheer volume of assignments/exams. I feel totally overwhelmed and am just not sure this is the right thing for me, yet I feel I can't quit as I don't know what else to do and would feel like a failure. I know lots of people have had dips in confidence throughout this course but I really don't know how to pull myself through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirst.
    You need to prioritise your own mental health, speak to your GP and make use of all the available support services at the university.

With regards to a lack of motivation to even attend uni, this sounds to me like it could be an acute exacerbation of your depression, which is definitely something you need to see your doctor about.*
    You should also have some sort of learning/study support service at the university which I would recommend speaking to with regards to managing the workload. There are lots of time management and planning apps you can use to make sure you are meeting all of your deadlines. Starting a study group might also be a good idea for peer support.*

There have been many many student nurses before you in the same position as you, with varying circumstances, but the answer is not just to drop out as soon as you begin to feel this way, but to see how the university can support you to get through this.*

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.