Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    I hope you understand me now, when I say that I just don't rate that as the 'greatest' intellectual achievement.
    I do, and I appreciate your point. To me, the whole theory of evolution is just more powerful an insight than you are willing to grant. I find it the single strongest argument against the creationist view of the universe that had and has prevailed since time immemorial. It's such a deceptively simple concept yet has such far-reaching implications. I don't know whether it's the greatest achievement, but I think it's a reasonable contender.

PS Mr Caveman needs penicillin when he's wounded but Mr. Kwungsun needs the cure to AIDS or rabies or cancer when he gets either of those, yet he has still been around for about two decades leading a reasonable life.

ReputationRep:
    The creation of universities.

ReputationRep:
    The written word.

ReputationRep:
    Chocolate has to be top 5, along with Tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riux)
    The written word.
    But forms of writing evolved independently in several different societies and civilisations...doesn't that detract from its merits a bit?

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless, the art of communication remains a triumph for humanity.

ReputationRep:
    I too vote language. Without it none of the technologies of today and most of the ancient ones wouldn't exist.

Language\rightarrowalphabet\rightarrowwriting\rightarrowPaper,ink,stylus\rightarrowthe printing press\rightarrowThe Daily Mail\rightarrowfascist housewives\rightarrowpompous self righteous letters about the coons coming over from abo jabo land or someother outrageous topic that would have never happened under Hitler.

Clearly demonstrating my earlier point that all technologies can be used for good as well as evil.

I agree that language is the greatest intellectual achievement. Other animals can communicate but we may be unique in the sophistication and abstract symbolism we're capable of.

It's off topic I know, but I wonder how soon humans began to sing once they'd evolved voices?

ReputationRep:
    S = k.logW

ReputationRep:
    Humankind's greatest intellectual FAILURE: inability to identify its greatest ACHIEVEMENT .

ReputationRep:
    Language.

Can I lump mathematics together or does it have to be a specific achievement (i.e the development of calculus)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.