Chose wrong A levels. Should I change it?????

Watch
Hmz222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No maths, no computer science. Period.
randyorton
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hmz222)
Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics
Yes.
Hmz222
Rep:
?
timster32 Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??
OwlOfFire
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You definitely need maths for computer science
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hmz222)
timster32 Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??
I think you'd still need A level maths to do a foundation year - computing is just applied maths, after all!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.
OwlOfFire
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.
I agree, although maths may not be ESSENTIAL, it is highly desirable. If you are thinking of doing computer science you need to be competent in maths.
MasterJack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You have taken no A level subjects relevant to computer science, why did you pick the subject at university if you haven't at least taken CS, mathematics or ICT/tech-based-subect at A level?
Hmz222
Rep:
?
I chose these subjects at first as i believed they would be easy for me. However after researching courses at university, it does not lead me to a course I want to do which is computer science.
Hmz222
Rep:
?
MasterJack
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
13.29%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.32%

Watched Threads