Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Chose wrong A levels. Should I change it?????

ReputationRep:
    Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics

ReputationRep:
    No maths, no computer science. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmz222)
    Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    timster32 Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need maths for computer science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmz222)
    timster32 Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??
    I think you'd still need A level maths to do a foundation year - computing is just applied maths, after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    No maths, no computer science. Period.
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    You definitely need maths for computer science

This isn't true, not universally. Some universities request you have maths but others do not. Not having maths will exclude you from many places (every Russel Group I believe) but it doesn't mean you can't study Computer Science.

I'm currently at Portsmouth. They don't request any specific A Levels so not having Maths is fine. They also assume no prior knowledge of the subject and teach all the Maths and basic CS stuff you need to know. Never programmed? That's fine. No A Level Maths? That's fine.

Yes it's beneficial to have but not having it doesn't at all mean you can't take CS. And this isn't even considering a Foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This isn't true, not universally. Some universities request you have maths but others do not. Not having maths will exclude you from many places (every Russel Group I believe) but it doesn't mean you can't study Computer Science.

I'm currently at Portsmouth. They don't request any specific A Levels so not having Maths is fine. They also assume no prior knowledge of the subject and teach all the Maths and basic CS stuff you need to know. Never programmed? That's fine. No A Level Maths? That's fine.

Yes it's beneficial to have but not having it doesn't at all mean you can't take CS. And this isn't even considering a Foundation year.
    Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.
    Oh I totally don't recommend it. I just don't want people thinking they can't do CS if they didn't do Maths. I personally did do A Level Maths and as a result get to miss a load of lessons. Around a 3rd of the year (or around 300 students) either didn't do Maths or are really bad at it so they dedicated classes to deal with it.

You're totally right that if you don't do Maths, or struggle with Maths then you will have more trouble than someone who did Maths. Maths is super important in CS for the programming portion. That said we are doing a load of units where Maths is totally unrelated or really loosely used at most. So I also wouldn't say that struggling with Maths means you'll struggle with all of CS. For example I'm doing Web Dev, Networking, Computer Architecture (which so far is just logic gates and basic binary) and Digital Forensics alongside programming. The amount of maths is minimal.

So in terms of relating this to the OP I don't think they absolutely need to take an extra year to do Maths or Physics. It'd be beneficial to have Maths and would broaden their options for Universities. It'd be my recommendation to go in with good Maths knowledge. But nobody should feel that not having Maths is going to instantly disqualify them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, although maths may not be ESSENTIAL, it is highly desirable. If you are thinking of doing computer science you need to be competent in maths.

ReputationRep:
    You have taken no A level subjects relevant to computer science, why did you pick the subject at university if you haven't at least taken CS, mathematics or ICT/tech-based-subect at A level?

ReputationRep:
    I chose these subjects at first as i believed they would be easy for me. However after researching courses at university, it does not lead me to a course I want to do which is computer science.

ReputationRep:
    MasterJack

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.