Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    guys f(x) is this graph but for 2a) f(x) +2 I translate fx 2 units up right? so it would cross through 2 and y would move upto 4 but what about the other side of the graph?
    Name:  maths.png
Views: 28
Size:  41.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    guys f(x) is this graph
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timster32)
    ???
    Sorry, i added the question now

ReputationRep:
    Move each side of the graph up by two units and you will also have to move the asymptote up to y=4

ReputationRep:
    it all moves up by 2

ReputationRep:
    Name:  maths.png
Views: 28
Size:  41.5 KBguys f(x) is this graph but for 2a) f(x) +2 I translate fx 2 units up right? so it would cross through 2 and y would move upto 4 but what about the other side of the graph?
    The asymptotes would be y=4 and x=1 because the "+2" refers to the y-coordinate, so the curve would move up two. The right one would just be slightly higher up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    it all moves up by 2
    so its just y=4 right? because I move it by 2 units each
    so coordinates would be 0,2

ReputationRep:
    The asymptotes would be y=4 and x=1 because the "+2" refers to the y-coordinate, so the curve would move up two. The right one would just be slightly higher up.
    asymptotes are the points close to the graph right?

ReputationRep:
    The asymptotes mean that the graph only tends towards a value but can't actually take that value. For example, the graph y=1/x has an asymptote of x=0, because the curve tends towards 0 but x can't actually be 0.

ReputationRep:
    The asymptotes mean that the graph only tends towards a value but can't actually take that value. For example, the graph y=1/x has an asymptote of x=0, because the curve tends towards 0 but x can't actually be 0.
    Understood! thank you

ReputationRep:
    no asymptotes are points where the curve will never reach but get very close to , i.e. f (x) has an asymptote with y= 2 so this means f(x) will never be equal to 2.
    and yes y=4 is correct as the translations are applied to the whole graph they will also apply to any asymptotes the graph has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dididid)
    no asymptotes are points where the curve will never reach but get very close to , i.e. f (x) has an asymptote with y= 2 so this means f(x) will never be equal to 2.
    and yes y=4 is correct as the translations are applied to the whole graph they will also apply to any asymptotes the graph has.
    completely understood. thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.