Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, stuck on integration here, take a look pls

Integrate from a to 0 the function (a^2 - a^2(sinx)^2)^1/2

There is a hint given, it says to use the subsitution y = asin(theta)

If anyone knows any other methods to integrate this function that arent too complex id love to know of them too, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karnten07)

If anyone knows any other methods to integrate this function that arent too complex id love to know of them too, thanks
    Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 4: no dvi output from LaTeX. It is likely that your formula contains syntax errors or worse.
    \displaystyle \int_a^0{ \sqrt{a^2 - a^2 \sin^2 x} \ \mathrm{d}x

\displaystyle = \int_a^0{ a \cos x} \ \mathrm{d}x

You could perform a substitution now but it's simpler to just integrate directly.

\displaystyle = \left[ a \sin x \right]_a^0

\displaystyle = -a \sin a

I have my doubts about this question. The limits are very odd, and the substitution hint involves y and \theta but not x which is the variable in the question.

ReputationRep:
    \int_a^0 \sqrt{a^2 - a^2 sin^2x},dx

= a \int_a^0 \sqrt{1 - sin^2x},dx

But 1 - sin²x = cos²x, and I'll let you continue from here ...

I don't understand why they've said to use that substitution. Are you sure that's the correct question?

ReputationRep:
    Lol :p: , no replies for six hours then two within three minutes!

ReputationRep:

Sorry guys, it was late and i wrote it out wrong. I wrote out the question out having already carried out the substitution. It shud read

Integrate from a to 0 the function (a^2 - y^2)^1/2 using y = asin(theta) as a substitution.

So i get to a^3 INT (from pi/2 to 0) d(theta) (cos(Thetha))^2.(1-sintheta)

I know that part is right cos it says it in the solution, but im getting stuck on this integration by parts from here, any help guys?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys, it was late and i wrote it out wrong. I wrote out the question out having already carried out the substitution. It shud read

Integrate from a to 0 the function (a^2 - y^2)^1/2 using y = asin(theta) as a substitution.

I know that part is right cos it says it in the solution, but im getting stuck on this integration by parts from here, any help guys?
    It's not correct, or the question is still wrong:

Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 4: no dvi output from LaTeX. It is likely that your formula contains syntax errors or worse.
    \displaystyle \int_a^0{\sqrt{a^2 - y^2}\ \mathrm{d}y = \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^0{a^2 \cos^2 \theta}\ \mathrm{d}\theta

There's no integration by parts here, so I'm not sure what you are stuck on.

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing?
    dy/dt=acos(t) so dy=acos(t)dt therefore INT acos(t)*acos(t)dt=INTa^2cos^2(t) dt

edit: Sorry should press refresh before posting

ReputationRep:

Oh my, im really sorry, the integration is the same as before except it should be multiplied by (a-y). so im hoping it should come to the point where im up to? :confused: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason i was getting confused is because this is the second part of a double integral, sorry again.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason i was getting confused is because this is the second part of a double integral, sorry again.
    Perhaps you should post the original question and where you think you've got to. This way we can be sure that we're all looking at the same problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathmoid)
    Perhaps you should post the original question and where you think you've got to. This way we can be sure that we're all looking at the same problem.
    Ok, so im asked to evaluate the double integral:

~~D sqrt(a^2 - y^2) dA where D is the triangle with vertices (0,0) (a,0) (a,a)

Ive Put the two squiggles to represent the integration symbol twice.

So then i integrated with respect to x from a to 0 which is where the (a-y) comes in that i had forgot to write in my original question. Then i integrate with respect to y from a to y and using the substitution y = asintheta.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, im really sorry, the integration is the same as before except it should be multiplied by (a-y). so im hoping it should come to the point where im up to? :confused: :rolleyes:
    Okay, well I get the same as you, but don't do parts on that whole thing...

hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \int a^3\cos^2(\theta)d\theta-\int a^3\sin(\theta)d\theta
    The second one is simple, and for the first one, use cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1 to change the integral into something easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nota bene)
    Okay, well I get the same as you, but don't do parts on that whole thing...

hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \int a^3\cos^2(\theta)d\theta-\int a^3\sin(\theta)d\theta
    The second one is simple, and for the first one, use cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1 to change the integral into something easier
    mmm my integration sucks. ill come back to this later, thanks for the help guys, im tired aswell, so gonna have a rest and then pick it up after. :cool:

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.