Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was watching Fight Club the other day and Tyler Durden said this and I kind of agree. I've worked in some pretty crap jobs as a temp and one thing I have noticed is the way people judge you on your job. For example in shops some customers talk down to you and generall be really nasty and condescending just because they happen to be in a better situation.

To a large extent I think its down to the move towards a classless society where if you are in a crap job people think you are stupid etc However this is untrue in reality the best courses at the best unis still go to the middle class kids with 'good parents' many of the full timers were hard working and clever but just went to crap schools or had parents who refused to pay for uni. Whereas fifty years ago a working class kid who was a builder would be treated normally as it was just 'how things were'.

So my post is just a rant about the whole snobbery surrounding occupation, if someone were to ask you were you worked and you said a call centre they would immediately think less of you. If anything they should think more of you as you are working in a boring low paid job to pay the bills etc there is honour in that.
    But when people speak to doctors who get paid loads they kiss there arse when the majority (although very hard) working have nice easy lives. Of course we shouldn't begrudge the achievements of others but we also shouldn't look down on people for working for 200 quid a week in a boring job they deserve respect. One of the worst things about these jobs is the way people look down on you; also why should someone spend their entire lives regretting a few years of education.

Don't worry guys I'm not some bitter person I go to uni etc it just upsets me when people are judged and dismissed because of their qualifications or lack thereof. Rant over

ReputationRep:
    People look down on them because generally the public are quiet rude and I couldnt care less what they though. It miffs them more if you smile and be polite. Annoying public ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Scarlet)
    People look down on them because generally the public are quiet rude and I couldnt care less what they though. It miffs them more if you smile and be polite. Annoying public ftw.
    I'm sure it miffs them more when you tell them to get ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and show them that when you get out of that job. For now let them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NSiky)
    I'm sure it miffs them more when you tell them to get ****ed.
    Yeah, or **** in their shopping bag or something. That would definitely be miff-inspiring.

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say that It never bothered me..but I suppose It does :/
    I work in a Chinese Restaurant in town town with a huge private boaridng school. And when the kids come in, they'll always talk down to me, etc. And I just want to scream at them. "I go to a private school too you basdtards, just ebacsue Daddy doesn't put £1000 into my bank account every week so I actually need to work doesn't mean you're better than me"
    but...its not my job to do....So I'm polite :/ even though I hate it. Or I can just not play down my accent and so sound like the poshest ***** they've ever met -le shrug-

but, I'm sure I judge shop assistants etc. Often on the way they talk :\

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on your age. If you're 14-23 I wouldn't judge someone on their job, but older... I would.

ReputationRep:
    you might say this or that job, which pays not so much is 'boring', BUT is that job, which you perceive to be boring or should be boring for them, actually be boring to/for the person who ACTUALLY WORKS THAT JOB???

Thing is, it's all so very circumstancial (sic?), life is innit.

Take the example of cashiering, i'm currently temping as one. I do find it boring but i'm only doing it as a temp and until around Octoberish - it's serving a temporary purpose for me.

I've come across some peeps who have cashiered for many many years. I'm not sure if they do find it boring, some of them. For some people, that occupation is all they've ever known, so far, in their working lives...that's one thing. They don't know any different, maybe they've not wanted to know any different...

what i do have a problem with, is if a person does feel that his or her job is boring and moans about this fact. If he/she is bored by it, either keep quiet about that (i.e. don't depress me and fellow work colleagues) or find something else which may stimulate you that little more. I don't think there's much honour shown by someone who moans about their job but does nothing, doesn't entertain the idea of getting a new job which may inspire them that little more.

Take the example of Matt Damon's character in the film 'Good Will Hunting' - his circumstance was that he was enormously talented in the area of Mathematics but was too scared (well, mentally and physically scarred...) to move out of a comfort zone, in this case, building kind of work. He was told he was wasting HIS OWN abilities etc, and eventually he saw sense and put his particular skills/abilities to good use. Sure, there's honour in working as a builder but is there honour in HIM and his reasons to be doing so? In Damon's case he was shying away from what he wanted to do, in his comfort zone, mainly oweing to the sheer brutality of his upbringing or lack of....

Person A is ideal for job A...
    Person B is ideal for job B....

we all have differing circumstances, what is perceived as boring to one person may well not be perceived as boring to another, however hard to believe this may seem! bla bla...

(you can see why i don't do philosophy)

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who had several papers published, PhD in neuropharmacology, do you know what he does for a living, he's a litter picker. Just goes to show you really are not your job. He only just scraped through at the interview though, stiff competition at the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    I worked as a shop assistant, and if I did get any dicks, I'd usually ask them a question using the biggest words I could think of (I had a repertoire of about 10 questions) which always made them look stupid :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people do judge you on your job - its a pretty sad state of affirs.

I think its an easy yardstick to see whether or not you have 'made it'.

Kind of pointless and annoying though I agree.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.