Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm a student at a state university in the United States. I'm going into my second year and am looking to spending the spring semester at UCL studying economics. I'm running into some trouble with the personal statement. What do schools in the UK look for in these types of things? Are they looking for more of an outline of my background or an explanation of my academic record? Also, with a GPA of 3.96 (4.00 is perfect) what are my chances of being accepted?

Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you interested in that course? Why do you think they should accept you? What did you do for your ECs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh1988)
    Hello,

I'm a student at a state university in the United States. I'm going into my second year and am looking to spending the spring semester at UCL studying economics. I'm running into some trouble with the personal statement. What do schools in the UK look for in these types of things? Are they looking for more of an outline of my background or an explanation of my academic record? Also, with a GPA of 3.96 (4.00 is perfect) what are my chances of being accepted?

Thanks for the advice!
    If you were applying for a full undergraduate degree at UCL, your GPA certainly gives you a good chance of success, though it is never certain - people with top grades get turned down every year for competitive courses, and economics is certainly one of them! However, you seem to be suggesting that you would be spending an elective over here - the arrangements for that are between UCL and your university so you will need to take local advice on the process.

This link should answer your questions about personal statements in general:

http://www.ucas.com/apply08/personalstatement

However, for your case I would suggest that you consult with your supervisor in the US, or even better with the relevant people at UCL. There is in general rather less emphasis over here on your extra-curricular stuff and - especially for outfits like UCL - much more on your academic achievement and potential, so this is the area to show most strongly in both your PS and your tutor's reference.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.