Unemployed with a First Class Degree. Feeling Post-Uni Depression

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently graduated from university with First Class Honours - and that was definitely a high point in my life! It was something I was so proud of that I decided NOT to apply for graduate schemes and to go on holiday for the whole of August.

I enjoyed my holiday and came back to apply for jobs ONLY to find that most of the top companies stopped hiring grads. I tried applying for smaller ones and they have been offering me interviews. BUT I have been turning them down because I they are underpaying me - infact £24-25K! This really annoys me because I got a First Class Honours degree and a lot of my friends are starting at £30K at top companies.

So now I am in this *****y lifestyle where nothing appeals to me. I have NO friends - YES NO FRIENDS! I AM A LONER AND WEIRD! NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN MY LIFE AND I SOMETIMES JUST WATCH LIFE GO BY

I am planning to rejoin the gym to take a lot of stress and anxiety out but in all honesty I don't see myself as a man!

(Original post by dalifeman)
    I recently graduated from university with First Class Honours - and that was definitely a high point in my life! It was something I was so proud of that I decided NOT to apply for graduate schemes and to go on holiday for the whole of August.

I enjoyed my holiday and came back to apply for jobs ONLY to find that most of the top companies stopped hiring grads. I tried applying for smaller ones and they have been offering me interviews. BUT I have been turning them down because I they are underpaying me - infact £24-25K! This really annoys me because I got a First Class Honours degree and a lot of my friends are starting at £30K at top companies.

So now I am in this *****y lifestyle where nothing appeals to me. I have NO friends - YES NO FRIENDS! I AM A LONER AND WEIRD! NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN MY LIFE AND I SOMETIMES JUST WATCH LIFE GO BY

I am planning to rejoin the gym to take a lot of stress and anxiety out but in all honesty I don't see myself as a man!
    You should've applied during summer...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Anyway, £25K isn't too bad, you can get a raise.

ReputationRep:
    Just take something you like regardless of salary then apply for jobs that fit your criteria

ReputationRep:
    Lol, £25,000 isn't that bad. It's better than then £0 you're already getting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You should've applied during summer...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Anyway, £25K isn't too bad, you can get a raise.
    I think I know that mate. People learn from their mistakes and the past is the past.

What is done cannot be undone but yeah - I am going to take a risk and work somewhere ****

Then move round like a boss !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Lol, £25,000 isn't that bad. It's better than then £0 you're already getting
    Who said I am getting £0 lol . I help a friend run a side-business so I make something at least

ReputationRep:
    Just take the 25k offer and move on with your life, honest to God unless you're living some outrageously lavish lifestyle or living in London, 25k will not kill you.

ReputationRep:
    What degree did you get?

ReputationRep:
    thats your fault stop complaining suck it up and take a lower paid job

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't help but laugh when you said your friends were earning more than you, then proceeded to say that you have no friends. But I get what you mean, there's 'friends' and then friends.

Maybe you can do something in the short term and apply for a 'top company'? :holmes:

Must be a first, but very rare I find no sympathy for the OP.

Change you attitude or deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I couldn't help but laugh when you said your friends were earning more than you, then proceeded to say that you have no friends. But I get what you mean, there's 'friends' and then friends.

Maybe you can do something in the short term and apply for a 'top company'? :holmes:
    Yeah I meant friends I used to have. They are all fake - the minute I walked out those uni doors they burned me out of their lives. The very same way I stripped them out of mine.

I guess the only option I have is to settle for something less and then move elsewhere. It is a shame that someone with even an industrial placement has to feel the struggle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Must be a first, but very rare I find no sympathy for the OP.

Change you attitude or deal with it.
    No sympathy mate? Ok then.

In what way do you want me to change my attitude?

ReputationRep:
    Who said I am getting £0 lol . I help a friend run a side-business so I make something at least
    That's good, but if I were you I'd take the £25,000 offer lol!

ReputationRep:
    Why do you feel entitled to such a large starting salary? This attitude is probably coming across in interviews, and won't stand you in good stead. We all have to start somewhere, and there's no shortage of entitled graduates thinking they're the bees knees and worth a CEO salary in 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    That's good, but if I were you I'd take the £25,000 offer lol!
    Yeah well I turned them down for other reasons too such as them not being a cultural fit and what not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Why do you feel entitled to such a large starting salary? This attitude is probably coming across in interviews, and won't stand you in good stead. We all have to start somewhere, and there's no shortage of entitled graduates thinking they're the bees knees and worth a CEO salary in 5 years.
    Ok, so why is that a portion of graduates get a starting salary of £28K+? Why is that a first class student with industrial experience has to get paid the same as say a 2.1 student with no experience?

There is a reason why I am greedy! I worked ****ing hard to get here - aint no one gonna treat me like cheap labour!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so why is that a portion of graduates get a starting salary of £28K+? Why is that a first class student with industrial experience has to get paid the same as say a 2.1 student with no experience?

There is a reason why I am greedy! I worked ****ing hard to get here - aint no one gonna treat me like cheap labour!

Most graduates don't start at £28K. And graduates form a small part of the overall working population - ergo, most people don't start on £28K.

Everyone who gets a first works hard, and acting as if £25K is 'cheap labour' shows a lack of understanding of the labour market. Sorry but you need to be less entitled and and more realistic to progress without antagonising people. And where was this first class degree obtained, and in what subject? As a business analyst, you know that there's a market and market price for everything, and a first in Mathematics from Cambridge is worth a sight more than a first in sociology from the University of Bedfordshire.

ReputationRep:
    cheap labour!

25k for your first job.....

Theres knowing your worth and self entitlement. Your position is self inflicted and you come across as being dislikeable with a poor attitude. Make sure it doesnt come across in interview or its for a position where that might be seen as an advantage.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Who would you vote for in an early general election?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.