Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as the title states, I'm very keen for uni advice. I wish to study a combined degree of psychology/Spanish but it seems that only Strathclyde and Glasgow are offering it (Dundee too but they want an Adv Higher Psych but I'm crashing Higher). This leaves me with 3 other options and I'm not sure whether or not I should apply for psych by itself? I'm worried I'll end up not liking it but I need it to apply for a post grad in animal behaviour.

If it helps, I got AAAAC first sitting (English, Spanish, French, modern studies, and biology respectively) and this year I'm crashing two highers (Italian and psychology) and taking advanced higher Spanish. I'm also doing highers in personal development (though I might drop this) and working with others but as they're not academic I'm not sure how useful they'd be.

Any advice is appreciated including just what your experiences studying psych or psych/Spanish at one of these unis or ones in the area (including Stirling or Edinburgh as I'd be able to commute there).

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would study straight psychology somewhere that offers modules in languages (most unis do). It's important that it's BPS accredited, which I'm not sure if combined with Spanish it would be, and it seriously limits your uni choices.

ReputationRep:
    I figured that to study a language as well it would have to be a combined degree? I want to keep future options open such as teaching languages in case I didn't like studying psychology. The post grad that would accept undergrad psychology doesn't specify that it needs to be BPS accredited and when I'd emailed them previously about the possibility of being accepted despite (potentially) having a combined degree they said they were flexible about what people had and again didn't specify anything about the BPS accreditation. From what I can gather that is so that people can apply for post grads in things like clinical psychology and the like? I personally wouldn't want to be a psychologist in any case, as I'm just seeing it as a means to an end (hopefully being taken on for the animal behaviour post grad), so I'm not sure that it is particularly important? Thanks for your reply.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Can't really answer the rest, but a lot of universities allow you to study modules within your degree in other subjects, such as UCL and Kingston (the 2 I've been to) and others (same again with both) have it as an option on top of your degree in evening classes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay, thank you. Well, I suppose I have more to consider now, haha. I'll make sure to talk to others regarding this soon. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.