Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alternatives to screen protectors.. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've bought a Motorola G4 Play and previously I've used a screen protector for the screen but not as keen to get the same for my new phone. Is there an alternative to them? Heard about a micro-fibre cloth but don't know too much about them and if they'd make the screen more dirtier!

Help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    The only real alternative to a screen protector is common sense and looking after your device.

Screen protectors generally protect from 2 things: damage (like scratches and cracks) and dirt. Lower end screen protectors don't tend to do much for serious damage while higher end glass protectors can take hits from a hammer and leave your phone intact.

As far as dirt goes, you're basically putting all your dirt and grime on the protector instead of the screen itself. So it doesn't really solve the problem; you just spend your time wiping a protector instead of the screen itself. In this respect a microfibre cloth won't make a difference (and realistically you should be wiping your phone down every now and then whether you have a protector or not. If nothing else it poses a security risk).

I've honestly never been a fan of screen protectors. I hate how they look on the phone and unless you get something decent you won't get a good level of protection. It's also painfully obvious that a cheap protector isn't perfectly transparent like high end glass tends to be, meaning the screen just doesn't look as nice. To this end I don't use a screen protector. My phone is still in 99% perfect condition, with no scratches because I'm careful with it. Also never been dropped. My old phone (had an S4 for two years) has light scratching on the screen but nothing serious. I also used a flip case with my S4 and while that does create a protective layer it has the downside of leaving marks on the screen.

So basically just be careful with your phone. Wipe it off when it gets dirty and don't drop it.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    I've bought a Motorola G4 Play and previously I've used a screen protector for the screen but not as keen to get the same for my new phone. Is there an alternative to them? Heard about a micro-fibre cloth but don't know too much about them and if they'd make the screen more dirtier!

Help appreciated!
    What exactly are you looking for an alternative to do? Microfibre cloths will clean a screen with minimal risk of scratching itself, but it obviously won't protect the screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What exactly are you looking for an alternative to do? Microfibre cloths will clean a screen with minimal risk of scratching itself, but it obviously won't protect the screen.
    I'm fairly good at looking after my phone in terms of not dropping it but would be keen to make sure the screen doesn't get that dirty with dust, fingerprint marks etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    glass screen protector.
    can't even tell its there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.