Is my radiator not working or am I being stupid?

ReputationRep:
    I have moved into a new room and I can't get the radiator to work. It's got a thermostat rotating thing which goes from 0 to 4 but this doesn't seem to be doing anything. There's no sound from the radiator or anything. I can't find any obvious switches or buttons on the radiator. I think I'm probably going to have to contact Accomodation but I just wanted to check that there isn't some special trick or button that's on radiators that I need to press?

ReputationRep:
    The radiator might have a thermostatic valve at the bottom which has to be turned.

Or it might have been isolated at a valve - try twisting the knobs at the bottom

Or it might be completely airlocked (estates have to sort that out)

Or it might be something else

ReputationRep:
    yh i think u should contact accommodation especially when it's starting to get colder

Dont you have a porter? can you ask any of your friends in the building how theirs work?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the central heating needs to be on in order for it to work, in which case you'll have to look at your boiler.

Maybe it just needs bleeding.

Maybe it's just shy.

ReputationRep:
    Turn the knob on the radiator? idk :L

ReputationRep:
    They might not have turned the boiler on yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I have moved into a new room and I can't get the radiator to work. It's got a thermostat rotating thing which goes from 0 to 4 but this doesn't seem to be doing anything. There's no sound from the radiator or anything. I can't find any obvious switches or buttons on the radiator. I think I'm probably going to have to contact Accomodation but I just wanted to check that there isn't some special trick or button that's on radiators that I need to press?
    Hope u sort it out Plig :yy:

ReputationRep:
    DRAMATIC Update: Maintenance has been and they can't figure out what the problem is so a plumber has been called. I am to be given an electric heater in the meantime.

The plot thickens...

ReputationRep:
    DRAMATIC Update: Maintenance has been and they can't figure out what the problem is so a plumber has been called. I am to be given an electric heater in the meantime.

The plot thickens...
    DUN. DUN. DUN.

Just hug your rocks to keep you warm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    DUN. DUN. DUN.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only have one, my parents couldn't bring my stuff over this week so I just came over with the bare essentials

ReputationRep:

The plot thickens...
    Better thicken those bed sheets then
    Go buy a polka dot ikea blanket

DUN. DUN. DUN.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lel

ReputationRep:
    I only have one, my parents couldn't bring my stuff over this week so I just came over with the bare essentials
    This is very sad, if you had two you could at least hit them together and make a FIYAAAAAAAAH.

ReputationRep:
    This is very sad, if you had two you could at least hit them together and make a FIYAAAAAAAAH.
    I feel like this would be a really good way of making myself incredibly unpopular with the people in my building when their first impression of me is burning their rooms down...

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this would be a really good way of making myself incredibly unpopular with the people in my building when their first impression of me is burning their rooms down...
    At least it'll be warm ^^

ReputationRep:
    DRAMATIC UPDATE II: The electric heater has been delivered but the moment I turned it on, the radiator starts working again!

Well, that's the end of this story. It's been an emotional journey. Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.

ReputationRep:
    DRAMATIC UPDATE II: The electric heater has been delivered but the moment I turned it on, the radiator starts working again!

Well, that's the end of this story. It's been an emotional journey. Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe.
    Where can I buy merch?

ReputationRep:
    Where can I buy merch?
    You can get it as a sponsor perk on my patreon.

The plot thickens...
    well at least you did soemthing and its not your problem. You cna sleep easy now. Try not to burn the building down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    well at least you did soemthing and its not your problem. You cna sleep easy now. Try not to burn the building down.
    Thanks. If I do burn the building down then I will be sure to let you all know.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.