Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anyone else always comparing themselves to famous people?

Not necessarily famous people, even psuedo-famous people like youtubers. People who just managed to get out of that zone where everyone is just an "everyday person" and become someone great.

Except youtubers show that it's possible for any ordinary person with some talent to be great. People who get to showcase their creativity have million times more gravity than the ordinary guy. And I wanna be up there too, but I don't have the talent for it.

But anyways.. I would be fine with this and just being me, except I'm not. I feel like I need to become great in order to be worth something to the world and to my future family, or to die happy.

It's something that creeps up into my head a lot. Meh. I'm so narrow-minded.

not really no...

me is me

ReputationRep:
    I'm just an ordinary guy but I want to be great. I just wish there was somebody out there - maybe even on TSR - who could help me. :call2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not necessarily famous people, even psuedo-famous people like youtubers. People who just managed to get out of that zone where everyone is just an "everyday person" and become someone great.

Except youtubers show that it's possible for any ordinary person with some talent to be great. People who get to showcase their creativity have million times more gravity than the ordinary guy. And I wanna be up there too, but I don't have the talent for it.

But anyways.. I would be fine with this and just being me, except I'm not. I feel like I need to become great in order to be worth something to the world and to my future family, or to die happy.

It's something that creeps up into my head a lot. Meh. I'm so narrow-minded.
    Hiya! This time 1 year ago and 2 years ago, I felt exactly the same way as you do now. I still do feel that way, to an extent. At the time, I was a major fan of Michael Jackson and often felt as though 'life is only worthwhile if you're famous'. I massively lost motivation at school because I was like 'welp, MJ and his family didn't need to waste their time and effort doing pointless, difficult A Levels and they were perfectly happy'. I felt so ordinary, and HATED it. Anyway, enough about me.

Comparing yourself to other people is suuuuuuuuch a bad habit. Because once you start, you may never truly stop! But I do know what you mean about wanting to become something great; the idea of being 'mediocre' in life really freaks me out. It must freak a lot of people out. I think the answer for you and for all of us is to just think about what would make you happy. And then do that. Whether what makes you happy is 'ordinary' or not. Also, think about all the bad sides of being famous. I would also recommend reading articles on Google about how to stop comparing yourself to others.

Please don't waste your life comparing yourself to others; when I was doing it 2 years ago, my work at school really suffered as a result. The best advice that you can ever be given is: always focus on YOURSELF.

I'm really not sure if I've helped you or not, but at least you now know you're not the only one with that mindset and that someone else gets it. I wish you the best of luck. Xx

(Original post by Abcdefghijk123)
    Hiya! This time 1 year ago and 2 years ago, I felt exactly the same way as you do now. I still do feel that way, to an extent. At the time, I was a major fan of Michael Jackson and often felt as though 'life is only worthwhile if you're famous'. I massively lost motivation at school because I was like 'welp, MJ and his family didn't need to waste their time and effort doing pointless, difficult A Levels and they were perfectly happy'. I felt so ordinary, and HATED it. Anyway, enough about me.

Comparing yourself to other people is suuuuuuuuch a bad habit. Because once you start, you may never truly stop! But I do know what you mean about wanting to become something great; the idea of being 'mediocre' in life really freaks me out. It must freak a lot of people out. I think the answer for you and for all of us is to just think about what would make you happy. And then do that. Whether what makes you happy is 'ordinary' or not. Also, think about all the bad sides of being famous. I would also recommend reading articles on Google about how to stop comparing yourself to others.

Please don't waste your life comparing yourself to others; when I was doing it 2 years ago, my work at school really suffered as a result. The best advice that you can ever be given is: always focus on YOURSELF.

I'm really not sure if I've helped you or not, but at least you now know you're not the only one with that mindset and that someone else gets it. I wish you the best of luck. Xx
    What changed for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What changed for you?
    Well I suppose it slowly dawned on me how bad it is to live in this fantasy, this fairytale, of obsessing over a particular celebrity. I just started to feel quite pathetic, looking at other people's lives, obsessing over them and wishing that I had them.

1 year ago, I was in year 13. I really hated sixth form so I was most likely doing it as a method of escapism. I'm wondering - do you feel that your life is quite difficult, or boring? Because when things feel really tough or dull, we do tend to look at celebrities, compare ourselves to other people and feel down that we don't have what they have when we are in a bad place in our lives. It helps us escape. I still do compare myself a tiny bit, but no longer to famous people, only friends really, however I can now recognise that comparing myself does nothing for me; it only makes me feel pathetic and sad. And I want to avoid 'escaping reality' when things get difficult.

I just don't want you to make the same mistake I made - I spent so much time in year 12 and year 13 in this 'fairytale' that I wasn't focusing on improving my own life and things just went downhill so much.

I imagine things will change for you when you feel a bit happier, when you feel as though you have more control over your own life. I would really highly recommend counselling, as I feel as though something deeper could be going on for you if this feeling persists.

ReputationRep:
    Comparing yourself to others is fruitless. You're not them, won't be, and shouldn't try to be. Here's a thought I've been toying with that could help:If you understand infinite universe theory, you'd know there are infinite versions of yourself. In every situation you're in, there exists a version of you that is excelling in that situation. You're at a club trying to get a woman? There are yous that have already gone home with a girl. Yous that are currently dancing with girls. If you're in some sporting event, there are yous winning the sporting event and scoring the best number of points. There are yous rung a little faster, trying a little harder, only a tiny bit ahead of you.Compare yourself to them. The you that is successful. The you you CAN be. The you you want to be. Then go BE them. There are yous with control over their fears, yous that are more motivated, focused. Yous that know they're the most awesome mother****er ever.There are universes where you don't just succeed, but thrive. Make this one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy)
    Comparing yourself to others is fruitless. You're not them, won't be, and shouldn't try to be. Here's a thought I've been toying with that could help:If you understand infinite universe theory, you'd know there are infinite versions of yourself. In every situation you're in, there exists a version of you that is excelling in that situation. You're at a club trying to get a woman? There are yous that have already gone home with a girl. Yous that are currently dancing with girls. If you're in some sporting event, there are yous winning the sporting event and scoring the best number of points. There are yous rung a little faster, trying a little harder, only a tiny bit ahead of you.Compare yourself to them. The you that is successful. The you you CAN be. The you you want to be. Then go BE them. There are yous with control over their fears, yous that are more motivated, focused. Yous that know they're the most awesome mother****er ever.There are universes where you don't just succeed, but thrive. Make this one of them.
    Well stated there and great point. Why try and change who we are just to follow someone famous?? We are who we are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebutterfly310)
    Well stated there and great point. Why try and change who we are just to follow someone famous?? We are who we are.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mJustSomeGuy)
    This is actually a really good way of looking at it! Compare yourself to YOURSELF.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I like having a private life thankyouverymuch.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.