Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Social anexiety disorder, depression, and uni.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, this might be quite long. I am a third year at uni studying psychology. For a couple years I have been struggling with social anxiety disorder and depression, I have told zero people and have NOT received an official diagnosis from a GP. As a psychology student I have been able to self diagnose myself and I am very confident in my self diagnosis. In my first year at uni I barely left my bedroom in halls, and literally spoke to no one - I do not want sympathy, I have always been fairly introverted and prefer to be alone anyway. In my second year I attended literally (and I mean literally) *drumroll* zero lectures. One time I actually went to one but stood outside and didn't go in (got the whole sweaty, heart pounding and panic feelings associated with sad). After a long summer holidays I felt slightly better and was committed to the idea of attending lectures, until I looked online and discovered that they all involved debating and being put into groups of 10 each week for presentations and group discussions. At this point I'm thinking RIP me.... There is however one lecture that I have been regular attending and its fine, but only because its a consistent 'being talked at by the lecturer' dynamic.

I know many people are going to tell me to see a doctor to get a diagnosis, but here's the kicker - since I was a kid I've always wanted to join the met police, a job which requires no history of any mental illness. This is a killer since there is nothing else I have ever wanted to do. Since the lectures this year involve a lot of smaller groups, I am more worried that I might get caught for not attending - if so, what would be my punishment considering I do not have a doctors note ect? Should I perhaps talk to someone at the university? Since I am studying Psychology many of my lecturers and my department in general are far more sympathetic to things like this, at least that is what I think. Anyways - I guess I am just looking for any advice that I can get... since I am pretty much unable to get any in real life. (I am anticipating many comments suggesting that I cant know if I have SAD or depression unless I have seen a doctor - id just like to stress that I am a Psychology student and have studied the two extensively and I match the criteria to a ridiculous extent. Also, my education is not suffering since I am comfortably on a 2:1 without attending lectures. Finally - I do not and have not had thoughts of suicide/self harm) Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon12345678912)
    Hi everyone, this might be quite long. I am a third year at uni studying psychology. For a couple years I have been struggling with social anxiety disorder and depression, I have told zero people and have NOT received an official diagnosis from a GP. As a psychology student I have been able to self diagnose myself and I am very confident in my self diagnosis. In my first year at uni I barely left my bedroom in halls, and literally spoke to no one - I do not want sympathy, I have always been fairly introverted and prefer to be alone anyway. In my second year I attended literally (and I mean literally) *drumroll* zero lectures. One time I actually went to one but stood outside and didn't go in (got the whole sweaty, heart pounding and panic feelings associated with sad). After a long summer holidays I felt slightly better and was committed to the idea of attending lectures, until I looked online and discovered that they all involved debating and being put into groups of 10 each week for presentations and group discussions. At this point I'm thinking RIP me.... There is however one lecture that I have been regular attending and its fine, but only because its a consistent 'being talked at by the lecturer' dynamic.

I know many people are going to tell me to see a doctor to get a diagnosis, but here's the kicker - since I was a kid I've always wanted to join the met police, a job which requires no history of any mental illness. This is a killer since there is nothing else I have ever wanted to do. Since the lectures this year involve a lot of smaller groups, I am more worried that I might get caught for not attending - if so, what would be my punishment considering I do not have a doctors note ect? Should I perhaps talk to someone at the university? Since I am studying Psychology many of my lecturers and my department in general are far more sympathetic to things like this, at least that is what I think. Anyways - I guess I am just looking for any advice that I can get... since I am pretty much unable to get any in real life. (I am anticipating many comments suggesting that I cant know if I have SAD or depression unless I have seen a doctor - id just like to stress that I am a Psychology student and have studied the two extensively and I match the criteria to a ridiculous extent. Also, my education is not suffering since I am comfortably on a 2:1 without attending lectures. Finally - I do not and have not had thoughts of suicide/self harm) Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long read.
    What advice do you want? You have depression and anxiety. Do you think they won't pick up on that during the interviewing/assessment at met police? Of course they will. Try and do something about it without having it on your official records. Try a private therapist if you can afford it. Not all of them are obsessed with rules etc., and some won't officially 'label' you.

ReputationRep:
    One thing you can do is talk to a counsellor at your uni. They are confidential and this should not end up in a record. Since you have enough knowledge to diagnose yourself, you should also know roughly how to go about improving your condition. You have a year to work on it after all. Also look up if lectures at your uni are compulsory or if there is no attendance checking.

I will say though, you have serious mental issues and yet want a career that requires you not to have any. You sure that's a good idea?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.