Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Applying for Part III.. had a bad year?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have been suffering from mental health problems and family bereavements during my time at university. My first two years did not go too well (average 2:2). I am in my third year of studying mathematics and I would absolutely love to apply to Part III.

However my transcripts for the first two years will be absolutely abysmal compared to what they would be expecting. Over the summer I have taken the initiative to begin working on my final year project and I've been reading ahead of all my lectures and going beyond. As a result I'm having a good time and whizzing through everything so far. My tutor is impressed with the turn around.

Would an exceptional (+85%?) final year make up for a pretty bad first and second year? I understand that I will have to apply with transcripts and there won't really be any indication of any strong results until after my January exams - by then most funding opportunities will be gone. I also come from quite a poor background and I'm blessed to make it in a russel group uni to study maths, let alone having the aspirations to go to Cambridge, so funding will be important. I am willing to put my savings into funding and living costs if need be.

Would I stand a chance at applying during this year, after my January exam marks are released?

Or should I just work as hard as I can and apply after I have graduated?

I am not a genius by any means, but I am a hard worker. My issues are now gone and I have nothing holding me back.

Am I dreaming or would I have a chance?

If somebody could move this to help me out if needed, I'd really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you've had such a hard time of it. It sounds like you're determined to do well and have managed to turn things around for yourself. Does your tutor know what's going on and have you applied for extenuating circumstances? If not then both need to be done ASAP to be sent in with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I'm sorry you've had such a hard time of it. It sounds like you're determined to do well and have managed to turn things around for yourself. Does your tutor know what's going on and have you applied for extenuating circumstances? If not then both need to be done ASAP to be sent in with your application.
    I have applied for extenuating circumstances for my exams in my first two years. But that doesn't make much of a difference when it comes to actual exam results, of course.

This is where I know I will have a problem as I currently do not have a good enough academic track record.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.