Postgrad Paranoia

    • Thread Starter


    Usually with masters 1 year, you carry on work on dissertation over the summer months. So that where the extra semester is. As normal academic year is September to June.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    (Original post by Jason kelly)
    Hey guys! Im doing my masters degree here in the midlands. I moved here for 1 year as it was a 1 year course, but my friend who studies another masters course in my uni is in a 1 year course too but apparantly he has an extra semester to work on his dissertation, so it ends up being more than 1 year. I dont get it, doesnt 1 year mean everything is done in 1 year? Im worried mine might be longer but they just didnt tell me. Im worried as I only moved here for 1 year and need to go back home after 1 year qualified and help my family with financial issues. i need to get me degree over with and i didnt agree for anthing longer than 12 months. :/ Please get back to me anybody. Thanks!
    Check your course start/end dates online or confirm with your course leader.

    A taught Masters is usually one calendar year, September to September (other start months can apply). Two terms/semesters of teaching, with the final one-third of the course for the diss. Could your friend have misunderstood? He may be talking about one academic year (September to June) with another term (July to September) to do the diss.
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.