Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a 56kbps connection.... and i havent used windows update since i installed windows.... downloading all the updates now will probably take me a week...... is there any faster way??

ReputationRep:
    you could slipstream SP1 into your windows install cd so this won't happen everytime

ReputationRep:
    what is slipstreaming?...... and even if i do that...... there are plenty of updates which have been released after sp1.......

ReputationRep:
    you could slipstream all those patches too (or wait for SP2 to be released)

For those of you unfamiliar with the term slipstreaming, it is basically the process of integrating service packs or hotfixes into an application or Operating System install.
    http://www.viperlair.com/articles/ho...eam/winxpsp1a/

ReputationRep:
    Do it in increments. Pick a night and download all the critical updates under 1Mb. Then, the next night download all the critical updates greater than 1mb. Don't worry about the hudge updates like media player and movie maker 2.

ReputationRep:
    If you wait a few weeks, Service Pack 2 (For winXP) will come out. I know Personal Computer World magazine will have it on their cover disk, and probably a few others will as well; that's if you don't want to download it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.