Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PCP Lease or Used car? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I need to get a car for work and I'm trying to decide whether to take out a PCP lease on a new VW Polo, or buy a used 2013 Honda Jazz. Not sure which makes more sense.**

Everyone's saying to go PCP but it doesn't make sense;

- New Polo 2016 (worth £14,000)
    - £2000 upfront deposit (non-refundable)*
    - £160/month for 48 months (£7680 total)
    - 12,000 miles/year limit.
    - *At the end of the 48 months, either give back the Polo or pay £6000 to keep it.

Buying used;

- 2013 Honda Jazz with 20,000 miles on the clock.
    - One payment of £5000 and the car is mine.
    - I can choose to sell the car at a later date if I wish, possibly recovering around £3000.

Judging by this I just can't work out how PCP leasing is better value for money?*

ReputationRep:
    I think the PCP leases only make sense if you particularly want a new car and are going to upgrade it again when the lease runs out. If you've got £5k available I'd definitely go for that option.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm thinking, I don't know why everybody things PCP is the way to go

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.