Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Does graduation age matter?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

Question regarding age upon graduation. If I choose to go to university, I will likely have to enlist on a foundation year program. This is fine, however I will be 22!

Does the age at which you graduate matter to employers? If I chose to do a masters I would be leaving university at 27....

I already have four years experience in the Petrochemical industry and therefore have something to back me up in the practical department.

Any thoughts are appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Age literally makes no difference. I think it's illegal to discriminate based on that anyway.

No difference at all, unless you were soemthing like 60+.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only time it would matter is if you couldn't explain what you'd done in the intervening years. If you'd spent 10 years or so dossing about, it's not going to look good to a prospective employer, regardless of the fact that you could reasonably argue that you'd turned your life around since.

I'm not suggesting that you have dossed around for 10 years, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think the only time it would matter is if you couldn't explain what you'd done in the intervening years. If you'd spent 10 years or so dossing about, it's not going to look good to a prospective employer, regardless of the fact that you could reasonably argue that you'd turned your life around since.

I'm not suggesting that you have dossed around for 10 years, mind.
    No worry of that! I've been doing an apprenticeship since 18! I guess it's always just a concern at the back of my mind.

Thank you for the responses though!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.