Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Girls Like That Context?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Girls like that is a play written by Evan Placey and I need context on it such as political, social, cultural, economic, moral; entertainment; subject matter; theme.
    I have tried looking everywhere and cant find anything. If you know anything can you let me know please it would be a big big help

ReputationRep:
    ALRIGHTY
    I did this play for GCSE and I loved it and did a monologue for AS Drama so buckle up as I give you info about this amazing play.

It is set in approximately 2013, and it focuses on smartphones and social media, as well as victim blaming culture through the eyes of twenty four girls, who went to a private girls school and bully their classmate Scarlett for sending a nude photo of herself to one of the boys, who shares it around. Later on in the play, it explores the different ways girls and boys are treated, and Scarlett's treatment by her peers can be contrasted with Russell's treatment, with him being called a stud whilst she is ridiculed and criticised. The play looks at insecurities of women and the way that teenagers will attack each other, as well as the anonymity of social media, potentially commenting on how it can make people feel brae, expressing their ideas behind a screen. Cyberbullying is a huge focus of this play, and it explores the way we grow up, as the play ends with the girls thirty years on and expressing their guilt and going back to their old school for a reunion, protecting a girl from being brought down by a boy at the end. There are multiple flashbacks chronicling the lives of the girls and the interconnectedness of their groups, as well as examining the way in which cyberbullying affects people. There is this theme of despite the fact they are 17 or 18 at the end, they are all moing on and eventually feel bad and let their insecurities affect them. There are also flashbacks of what we discover are Scarlett's family members, being treated as inferior by the males in their lives. It is a very feminist play, and considers how the girls in the play (who are never named so it preserves their anonymity throughout and supports the anonymity of social media) react to feminism, and just generally being awful people.

Hope this helps! This is what I could pick up from the play itself.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the context of it being set in 2013 and revolving around social media, the play itself appears to be commenting on how our identities and lives are constructed online and our insecurities as teenagers can be projected onto someone else to make ourselves feel better, along with maybe the lack of realisation that, even online, our words can have a massive impact on someone's life, and you are implicit in a lot of things just by being awful online. Scarlett's lack of talking except at the end, as well as the other girls recounting what she said, gives off the idea Scarlett could be anyone, and nothing is really done to support her within the school as much due to the fact it's online and so, for the teachers, it matters less to them. This was an interesting point I picked up on during the play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eruditeprincess)
    Considering the context of it being set in 2013 and revolving around social media, the play itself appears to be commenting on how our identities and lives are constructed online and our insecurities as teenagers can be projected onto someone else to make ourselves feel better, along with maybe the lack of realisation that, even online, our words can have a massive impact on someone's life, and you are implicit in a lot of things just by being awful online. Scarlett's lack of talking except at the end, as well as the other girls recounting what she said, gives off the idea Scarlett could be anyone, and nothing is really done to support her within the school as much due to the fact it's online and so, for the teachers, it matters less to them. This was an interesting point I picked up on during the play.
    Thank you so much. This really so helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahwinstanley)
    Thank you so much. This really so helpful
    Because I studied it at GCSE for Drama and did a performance of it, I've grown to understand the play properly, which is really fun for me. If you read the play through a few times, you can pick out quotes that support a lot of the points I've made.

I do like the historical sexism that is present and the showing of the attitudes of the women experiencing it in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    From what I can tell, Scarlett does represent the girls who experience s/ut shaming in schools and her reaction is also similar to my reaction.
    The girls in the play are awful and ruin Scarlett's life, but I love Scarlett's monologue at the end (I used it for AS as it was really powerful in showing how Scarlett felt about it and her eventual realisation that the world is more than just these girls, and these girls are poisonous and they will get their comeuppance. It was so so fun to perform and just feel like she was being spiteful in telling these girls the cold hard truth that they weren't special at all)

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.