Interesting ways to earn money?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Matched is risk free and legit way to make an extra inc....

I'm kidding, don't report me!

As the title says what sort of interesting methods have you used to earn money? None of the generic "surveys, matched betting, eBay flipping, etc", what unusual methods have you used? Do they work? How much effort do you put in?

Inb4 inevitable selling sperm post

ReputationRep:
    getting a job
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

As the title says what sort of interesting methods have you used to earn money? None of the generic "surveys, matched betting, eBay flipping, etc", what unusual methods have you used? Do they work? How much effort do you put in?

I used to pay people to write books for me and then sell them on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I used to pay people to write books for me and then sell them on Amazon.
    Selling your cat to the chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    they'd not want her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    they'd not want her...

Ok, Dear Leader in North Korea will take her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    getting a job
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    wooooooooooooot that would be insane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceOfOrange)
    wooooooooooooot that would be insane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rambapa)
    I feel like this is the only method that has adequately answered the question, being interesting and not a generic method

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)

I'd say gold dealing (before I went into the business) even at school and with friends parent I was buying silver and gold, sending it to London to be melted down unless I liked it and kept it (i was bad in those days I sent pandora jewellery to scrap even a van Cleef and Arpels bracelet)

ReputationRep:
    busking. get a few empty heinz baked beans cans, set them up and start bongoing away. i played tin drums for about 3 hours in the morning last week, earned 100 quid. i could easily get more but not had heinz beans in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    I'd say gold dealing (before I went into the business) even at school and with friends parent I was buying silver and gold, sending it to London to be melted down unless I liked it and kept it (i was bad in those days I sent pandora jewellery to scrap even a van Cleef and Arpels bracelet)
    How do you invest in gold without having a significant amount of money to start with ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    How do you invest in gold without having a significant amount of money to start with ?
    it was just scrap trading so I started small buying gold stud earrings for £1 a piece and selling them for £1.30 not a lot until you have 200 odd earrings then I moved to chains and bracelets

ReputationRep:
    Did you find it scales well? Start small with whatever you can get and build to more professional dealings? Or does it plateau after a while?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Did you find it scales well? Start small with whatever you can get and build to more professional dealings? Or does it plateau after a while?
    it was great in scaling
    I ended up with some great watches there was an omega speedmaster, a Patek Philippe calatrava, a Breitling emergentcy, a Franck muller master banker and a 2 tone Rolex submariner at one point just before the end of school I had in a roll which I took to a London dealer and received £20,000 for and I had paid £12,000 (£10,000 was loaned to me by my dad's boss and £2,000 was mine he got back £12,000 and i got £8,000 that i spent mostly on myself)

ReputationRep:
    it was great in scaling
    I ended up with some great watches there was an omega speedmaster, a Patek Philippe calatrava, a Breitling emergentcy, a Franck muller master banker and a 2 tone Rolex submariner at one point just before the end of school I had in a roll which I took to a London dealer and received £20,000 for and I had paid £12,000 (£10,000 was loaned to me by my dad's boss and £2,000 was mine he got back £12,000 and i got £8,000 that i spent mostly on myself)
    That's not bad. Not something I think I'd personally try myself since I have no knowledge of the market or anything but good to see something like that can work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That's not bad. Not something I think I'd personally try myself since I have no knowledge of the market or anything but good to see something like that can work.
    I've bought enough silver plate and brass to say it took a while to learn but once you ready a few books and buy some kit it is easy

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.