The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 2017 entry

Hi all, thought i'd start a thread for all those applying :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Dragon_
Hi all, thought i'd start a thread for all those applying :smile:

Great, thank you I've been looking for this thread!

I'm pretty sure I'm applying to Sheffield, I liked the feel of it at the open day and prefer the more traditional style of the course.

However I am worried about how UKCAT heavy Sheffield are going to be this year. I'm already applying to Newcastle, who are notoriously UKCAT heavy, and I don't know whether I want to risk two big UKCAT med schools when my UKCAT isn't the best it could be.

My stats are:
GCSEs 9A* 1A (A in German)
AS AAAA (Bio Chem Maths and Physics)
A Level predictions A*A*A (Bio Chem and Maths)
UKCAT 717 average Band 1
Relevant work experience and long term volunteering

Are you set on applying to Sheffield? Any predictions for what will make a competitive score for interview?
Original post by xxxsbxxx
anyone know what the interview to offer ratio is usually?

I think they interview between 800-900 and make around 450 offers? I think I recall reading this on their website, so that makes about a 50% chance of offer following interview.
thank you! x

No worries! Where else are you applying?
Original post by elish2chambers
Great, thank you I've been looking for this thread!

I'm pretty sure I'm applying to Sheffield, I liked the feel of it at the open day and prefer the more traditional style of the course.

However I am worried about how UKCAT heavy Sheffield are going to be this year. I'm already applying to Newcastle, who are notoriously UKCAT heavy, and I don't know whether I want to risk two big UKCAT med schools when my UKCAT isn't the best it could be.

My stats are:
GCSEs 9A* 1A (A in German)
AS AAAA (Bio Chem Maths and Physics)
A Level predictions A*A*A (Bio Chem and Maths)
UKCAT 717 average Band 1
Relevant work experience and long term volunteering

Are you set on applying to Sheffield? Any predictions for what will make a competitive score for interview?

It was about 2030 last year (they said if they had done this process last year) so it'll be more or less the same.
Original post by studentsixth
It was about 2030 last year (they said if they had done this process last year) so it'll be more or less the same.

Great thank you for your help!!
I'm applying to newcastle, southampton and notts, how about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh we're looking at quite similar places, I'm applying to Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham and Sheffield!! You'll have to let me know what interviews you get!
I have a UKCAT of 686.5. With, what would be, the cut off last year, do you think it's worth me applying? Like, will the UKCAT requirements move over 10 points up? :/
Original post by MedSchoolHope4
I have a UKCAT of 686.5. With, what would be, the cut off last year, do you think it's worth me applying? Like, will the UKCAT requirements move over 10 points up? :/

I doubt the cut off will move up a lot as I'm not sure how many people realise how massively Sheffield has changed their admissions policy so I think people with lower UKCAT scores will still apply and keep the cut off relatively the same. I would apply with your score and just keep my fingers, toes and everything crossed that the cut off doesn't move too much.
Hi everyone, I've applied to Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton and Sheffield!
GCSEs: 10 A*, 1 A
A levels: A*AA (I'm on a gap year)
UKCAT: 2270
So nervous to hear back but I know it could be months. Where has everyone else applied to?:biggrin:
Original post by MedSchoolHope4

Yes I think it'll be very similar this year too. There has, in general, been a severe lack of information regarding this selection process (Sheffield's website says a lot but you really do need to treasure for it). I think it'll take some time for people to realise it's UKCAT heavy (like it did with Newcastle) so for this year I'd say you're safe.
Applied yesterday, really like Sheffield so hopefully i'll get an interview. Best of luck guys
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Hi everyone, I've applied to Birmingham, Leicester, Southampton and Sheffield!
GCSEs: 10 A*, 1 A
A levels: A*AA (I'm on a gap year)
UKCAT: 2270
So nervous to hear back but I know it could be months. Where has everyone else applied to?:biggrin:

I think we hear back in November after they compile all their UKCAT scores! Well that's what they say on their site (interviews start end of november too!)
~ i am a re-applicant to sheffield, after a bad interview station last year.
On applying i didn't realise they have decided to become "UKCAT Heavy".
I have wasted an application and i am subsequently fairly annoyed!
Original post by Dr.Pharm
~ i am a re-applicant to sheffield, after a bad interview station last year.
On applying i didn't realise they have decided to become "UKCAT Heavy".
I have wasted an application and i am subsequently fairly annoyed!

Oh no!! You might not have wasted an option you could still make the cut off if lots of other people haven't released as well! They haven't advertised the change very well so I think lots of other people won't have realised either!
Interview offers should be coming out from Tuesday to Friday :s-smilie:

Omg! That's so soon! How do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicwannabe21
Omg! That's so soon! How do you know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Website - UKCAT ranking starts on monday

Fingers crossed for all of us!!
Original post by elish2chambers
Fingers crossed for all of us!!

yeh, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending