Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are BScs always more employable than BAs? watch

ReputationRep:
    i applied for maths and psychology and most unis offered either a MA (scottish unis), a BA or a BSc, but i just chose at random and all of them said it's only when they actually award you a degree that they really bother about which course you're on...*would explain why lou has no idea of what degree she is going to gain*

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    i applied for maths and psychology and most unis offered either a MA (scottish unis), a BA or a BSc, but i just chose at random and all of them said it's only when they actually award you a degree that they really bother about which course you're on...*would explain why lou has no idea of what degree she is going to gain*

lou xxx
    Pretty sure that in your case you will get to pick (dependent on modules etc..) if you would like an MA or a BSc!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Pretty sure that in your case you will get to pick (dependent on modules etc..) if you would like an MA or a BSc!!!
    i know i'll get to pick... thing is, i think i might already have when i applied because there were 2 codes and in the big directory thing at college it didn't specify which code was which... hence the random choice, but i did also get told i can change if my modules seem more sciency or vice versa.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    *has just been messing around on ucas site*

i think i'm on the BSc course, not the MA

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    BSc and BA degrees are both equally employable. It just depends what kind of course you are taking to apply for that job.

ReputationRep:
    So please clarify, i dont get it. why are all of Cambridge's degrees BA's? for economics they ask for economics and maths.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    So please clarify, i dont get it. why are all of Cambridge's degrees BA's? for economics they ask for economics and maths.... :confused:
    Purely tradition, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Purely tradition, I think.
    Quite a silly one if you ask me (not that anybody is...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Hehe, maybe I'll harass Jools with more PMs
    I think it's Bristol for Geog where you can/could choose whether you wanted a BA or BSc at the end of the same course. I don't think it's that big a deal whether you have a BA or BSc under your belt - it's largely a traditional formality - isn't Physics at Ox a Bachelor of Arts degree? Though if you have the choice you may as well pick the one which suits you best.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge only offer BA's. If you do a science degree with them you still get a BA. Strange...

ReputationRep:
    what about "BEng" courses not that i did one, got a BSc myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    I think economics degree is not a "scientific" kind of subject maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    I think economics degree is not a "scientific" kind of subject maybe.
    I agree.. But what of physics? Biology? Cambridge also give BA's for those!

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more concerned with getting a degree than the letters that come with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I'd be more concerned with getting a degree than the letters that come with it.
    hehe, same here.

hello supershiny how are you today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    hehe, same here.

hello supershiny how are you today?
    Apparently I'm not very interesting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You get more letters though with a BSc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Employers would still employ you as you know your subject very well alongside with a prestigous university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    It's an historic thing, Cambridge have never offered BSc's. Oxford do the same.

ReputationRep:
    That is quite strange. We should go ask them.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.